Thursday, May 18, 2017

Trying to get healthy...

Last Saturday I went to Burlington with a few girlfriends for a day of shopping and hanging out.  It was much needed.  It had been over a year since we’d done that trip, so over a year since I’d had an entire day out to do stuff without any responsibilities.  We checked out all our favourite stores that we don’t have here in Canada, and in all honesty I think my favourite is Joann.  The home decor selection there isn’t huge, but I really love the stuff they have there.  We also had a yummy dinner at Olive Garden, where we looove the breadsticks and salad to start.  I know we have an Olive Garden out in Langley but I would never think to drive that far for a meal, so it’s a treat to go there when in the US.  I just wish the dollar wasn’t as bad as it is.  I got $150 American at the bank before we went, and it cost me just over $211 to get that!  Ouch.  Still, it was totally worth it for the experience.

I still wasn’t feeling 100% when we went, but did really well considering that.  But by later that evening I knew something wasn’t right with my throat.  I managed through Mother’s Day but definitely wasn’t feeling as well as I’d have hoped for the day.  Still, it was a special day.  I really appreciated that James was cool with me being gone for the entire day on Saturday, and then on Sunday he barely got a break, moreso because I wasn’t feeling great than because it was Mother’s Day, but still.  When I got up in the morning the kids were excited to greet me, and after enjoying the breakfast James had made special for me, I opened the kids’ presents.  Their cards were priceless.  I loved the ‘All About My Mom’ page that Andrew had made for me at school, and I couldn’t help but laugh when I opened up the card Margaret had made me at pre-kindergarten to see what message she’d had her teacher write in it for her - “Dear Mommy, I love it when you give me your phone!  Love, Margaret.”  LOL  Emily’s said that she loves it when I tuck her into bed.  But Margaret’s was hilariously fitting, I have to say.

After James and Andrew got back from his dance class, I went over to my mom’s with the gifts I’d gotten for her at Joann.  My parents are currently in the works of painting their place to freshen it up, and my mom’s been doing some redecorating, so she was thrilled with the stuff I picked out for her.  After we had a little visit there we went out for lunch, and then I came home to relax for a few (and drink some mimosas!).  Then we took the kids to the theatre to see the Boss Baby movie.  It was the girls’ first ever experience at a movie theatre, and they did so well!  I was so pleased that we could all go to a movie together and it went amazing, not even any bathroom breaks interrupting the show!  The kids loved it, and we had popcorn for dinner so that was fun.  I was ASTOUNDED by the cost of it all, though.  I’m not much of a movie goer personally and really only go to the theatre every few years at most.  We get gift certificates every so often from my uncle and that tends to get us out to a show, but beyond that it just doesn’t happen.  And I realize now more than ever, it’s a good thing I don’t want to go more often, because there’s no way we could afford it!  LUCKILY we happened to have a gift certificate James had got for his birthday, as well as some money left on one that we’d got last Christmas, so out of the $52 it cost for us to get in, we only paid $4.  I can totally live with that!  Then one large popcorn and 3 small slushies (I brought water for me and James so only the kids got drinks) cost over $20.  It was insane!!  It was basically $75 for a family of 5 to go to a movie, and that’s sharing food and not even getting a drink for everyone?!  How is that affordable?!  It was an experience for sure, and I’m so glad that we went, and that we weren’t actually that out of pocket, as I don’t think any movie would be worth spending that much for, in my opinion.  But wow, it’ll be a while before we get to go back!  It was really cute watching the kids’ reactions to the movie, though, and sitting next to Margaret I got to hear her little banter here and there about different parts (she was the most vocal of the 3, but not to a point of being disruptive for other people around us!)

By Sunday evening my throat was getting worse, and I had a pretty rough sleep because I was starting to feel like I couldn’t swallow properly.  It wasn’t like a usual sore throat pain, but felt more like it was swollen inside.  Whatever it was, it was hurting, and by Monday it was so bad I was pretty sure I needed to go to a doctor.  I resist that in general because our family doctor is so far away downtown and only works maybe one or two days a week at that clinic, so I know it’s going to be a random stranger doctor at a walk-in that I’ll have to go to.  I hate waiting at walk-ins and not knowing who I’ll end up seeing.  I decided to give it one more day and see if maybe a decent sleep on Monday night would do the trick and by Tuesday I’d be better.

Instead, the pain got so severe that even my teeth felt like they were hurting (and I just had a dentist appointment a few weeks ago and know there’s nothing wrong with my teeth!)  My whole face was hurting and my throat felt like it was completely seizing up.  I left a note for James telling him I’d been up pretty much all through the night and needed to go to a doctor in the am, so he worked from home and took Andrew to school so I could get myself sorted to go to a clinic.  Luckily the one nearest our house ended up having almost no wait time at all, and the doctor I saw was pleasant.  He said it seemed like a sinus infection, though it could be strep throat but he really didn’t think so.  I didn’t think so either as I’ve had strep throat before (not for 22 years...LOL...but I remember what it felt like!) and it felt different than that.  He said that the antibiotic he wanted me to take would help either issue anyway, so get going on it right away and hopefully that would take care of it.  

So I’m on day 3 now of the pills and I’ve noticed some improvement, but then late last night it got so bad again that I was beside myself from the pain.  Two Tylenol seemed to help a bit to take the edge off, but I slept terribly and kept coughing through the night as well.  I don’t know how much better I really am, truthfully.  I’ll give it till tomorrow to see if I need to go back, as they said if I’m not showing a lot of improvement by day 3 I should do that.  I really hope the pill I took this morning starts to do it’s job quickly.  I feel like this illness has been going on for SO LONG and I can’t stand it anymore!  I just want to feel well.

Late last night Andrew came running down the stairs and informed me that he had a cold.  He was full on sniffling and said his throat hurt.  I thought, oh great, here we go again...But this morning he didn’t mention it at all and seemed fine, so I’m REALLY hoping it was just a fluke and it’s not going to turn into anything.  Fingers crossed!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird