Thursday, April 27, 2017

Summer plans and waiting for sunshine

The days fly by, as per usual.  We’re all relatively healthy now, so knock on wood it stays that way for a good long while.  Most of us still have a bit of a lingering cough but nothing compared to how it was.  My mom, on the other hand, has a touch of pneumonia and then just when she thought maybe she was noticing a bit of improvement, she came down with a head cold.  This winter has been brutal!  And I just realized I’m still referring to it as Winter when in fact it’s been Spring officially for weeks now…

Our weather just hasn’t been very spring-like.  Of course, we don’t have snow like some places are still getting, but we’ve had more rain than our fair share and I’m pretty sure we’ve beat long-time records for most rain in a month.  We had one really sunny day in the past week that was GLORIOUS, it was actually so hot that it felt more like summer than spring.  It was a shock to the system, but a good one!  I could definitely get used to that.  We just get these little teasers of a bit of sunshine and then the wind and rain force their way back.  It’s annoying.  Fingers crossed we have a hot summer, I think we deserve it!!

This past weekend I booked us a place to stay for two nights in Seattle after we go for a camping trip somewhere nearby for a family reunion.  Yes, we’re gearing up to be able to camp, and so far have a tent, a few air mattresses, and a few other supplies, but we have a LOT more to get before we can actually go.  I want to say I’m excited...I’m excited for the kids and want to try to enjoy it for their sake.  It’s just that I’ve never really been a camper - I’ve literally camped 3 times in my life.  Once was an overnight on Newcastle Island (off Nanaimo) during a summer camp I was in, and I think I was maybe around 7 or 8 when I did that.  I remember absolutely HATING it.  The next time I went with my boyfriend at the time and his family, when I was 16 or 17.  I somehow think it was only one night as well.  I shared a tent with my boyfriend’s sister and I remember we heard a wild animal outside our tent in the night and the next morning found out from the park ranger that it had been cougars.  It was an OK experience overall but the actual camping-over-night part I could have just done without!!  And the last time I camped was in 2001, with James, his brother, and his dad and his significant other.  It was OK and again, I enjoyed the outdoor activities that we did during the day time, but I remember disliking very much the sleeping-in-a-tent aspect.  I’m even more concerned for myself now that I’ve had children and seem to need to go to the bathroom OFTEN...but don’t want to use outhouses...and yeah...kinda creeped out by the idea of sleeping outside, truthfully.  But I’m sure I can get used to it?!!!

We’re going to do a trial run camping trip sometime soonish, once we’ve bought all the supplies we need, and then in the summer we’ll be more prepared (hopefully) for that two night trip.  What I’m really looking forward to, though, is staying in a house for 2 nights afterwards that looks SO nice and will be a prime location for all the places we want to visit, which include the Woodland Park Zoo, and all the main attractions in Seattle Center.  

We’ve never taken the kids on a trip that wasn’t to the island to visit family, and while yes part of the trip will be for a family reunion, it’s with James’ bio dad’s side, which we don’t see often (most of that side of his family I’ve literally met once), and it will be a huge adventure just because of the camping aspect.  And the nights in Seattle will be exciting because we’ve always wanted to be able to take the kids there.  

So I’m happy we have something fun to look forward to this summer, and I can’t wait to be able to spend more time in the yard.  I’ve started my yard cleanup, and we’re starting to get things out on the back patio.  I cleaned up (almost all) the leaves from the front yard area and have some plans for what plants and things I want to get.  I got my decorative birdhouses back up (and some finches have set up home in a birdhouse Andrew made a few years ago that’s attached to the carport, which is SO CUTE!  We never put food in our birdhouses because we don’t want to attract rodents, but they’ve obviously taken it upon themselves to build a little nest in there because I often see the mama coming and going and it’s the sweetest thing EVER, even more so because Andrew made the house himself!) and some solar lights by the driveway and have it all looking quite nice.  I’m still having a bit of a time emotionally because there’s a part of me that doesn’t even want to try to make things look nicer around here after everything we’ve been through with the house and management...but at the same time it does make me so much happier to have it looking better.  I can’t live like a total slob, it just makes me feel worse about everything.

All we need now is for the sunshine to come back so we can get out there and enjoy it!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird