Sick days and new toys

The cold I had last week turned into a flu, and after about 4 hours of thinking I was on the mend the night before last, I woke up yesterday morning feeling as if I was getting the virus all over again.  It just won’t go away, and keeps getting worse.  Andrew has been coughing and stuffed up for WEEKS and the girls have had it for almost a week now and aren’t getting any better either.  At least the kids are able to go about their day as per usual, but I find I’m totally dragging myself, completely exhausted, and am having a more challenging time than usual meeting all of their many demands throughout the day.

Yesterday Andrew’s class went on a field trip to a pumpkin patch, but we went to one a few weeks ago (post on that to come) so I decided instead of going with his class, he would stay home and we’d do something fun on our own as a family.  He was totally fine with that.  So the plan was, we were going to go to a Halloween shop downtown and then go to Science World.  I got us a family membership back in June at a special rate because a huge group of us got it at the same time, and we’ve yet to go.  The kids were excited about it, and James had already worked extra so he’d be able to meet us there in the afternoon.  But as soon as I woke up in the morning so stuffed up I could barely breathe, I knew there was no way I’d be able to handle that big of an outing.

So I bribed the kids and said if they were OK with rescheduling Science World, I’d take them to Toys R Us and get them each a little toy so we’d have something new and fun to play with for the afternoon instead.  Of course they were all over that plan, with the addition that we also hit up the Wendy’s drive thru afterwards for a Frosty!

So off we went to Toys R Us, and honestly I was feeling so whoozy it was literally the most I could manage.  We looked around at some of the toys but mostly stuck to the Duplo/Lego area, and Margaret and Emily ended up picking out a Sleeping Beauty Duplo set that cost way more than I wanted to spend, so I’m putting some of their birthday money toward their purchase.  Andrew got a tiny Lego set and a little Blind Bag of some weird characters.  Everyone was happy, and when we got home the girls were so excited about their new Duplo that they ended up going for their nap 2 hours past their usual nap time!  It was great to see all 3 kids playing together (for the most part without fighting…!) and being occupied by something for more than just a few minutes.  I actually think there will be some Duplo sets under the Christmas tree this year, because there’s so much they can do with it and I can see them really enjoying making towers and houses and whatnot.  Andrew loves it, too, even though he’s over the intended age, since the boxes all say ‘2-5 years.’  He wants a Batman Duplo set for Christmas!  He likes Lego but still seems to have a bit of a time putting all the tiny pieces together, since the sets all come with so many detailed bits that have to be put together.  I’m sure in the next year or so he’ll really get into Lego, but hey, if he enjoys Duplo there’s nothing wrong with that, and it works well with the girls too, so they’ll have lots of building to do with it all together.

I still felt bad that we didn’t have our outing to SW, but when I mentioned that to Andrew he said, ‘What are you talking about, today was fantastic!’  LOL  I guess I’m just feeling like such a shut in lately.  James has been working from home a lot to help me out, and has done a lot of the drop offs and pick ups at school, so I haven’t even been venturing out much for that.  I did a bit of a grocery shop the other day but was so exhausted afterwards, it was ridiculous.  I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired!!!  This time of year mixed with a child in school SUCKS for viruses, what can I say.

I’m really hoping to start feeling better soon.  It’s just so debilitating, and there’s so much I want to be doing but can’t.  After dinner tonight we did take the kids on a little walk, even though it was getting dark already, and they had a great time running around.  It felt good just to get some fresh air.  We noticed it felt a lot colder out tonight, it definitely feels more like fall now than it has.  I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that there’s clear skies in the forecast for Halloween!  The countdown is on, just a week till Halloween Eve!


Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Babies!

Keeping myself busy

Thanksgiving already!