Tuesday, October 13, 2015

A low key but happy Thanksgiving after all

Thanksgiving has come and gone, and while it wasn’t the greatest weekend ever (see my last post), we ended up having a really nice Thanksgiving evening yesterday with my parents.  James made the Tofurkey (I don’t know why, but it’s become his tradition to take charge of that!) and he roasted yams and red onions with it.  It was SO delicious, and while I’m not always the biggest fan of yams, these ones were so good I’m thinking I just might want to start buying them more often.  He also made the Brussels sprouts.  I made a butternut squash casserole that turned out really yummy, mashed potatoes and gravy, carrots and parsnips, creamed corn, and my mom made her delish stuffing.  There was also of course black and green olives, cranberry sauce, and also sliced beets.  It was a huge feast!  I was STARVING before we dug in and then after a few bites I felt stuffed already.  I ate way too fast and I have no idea how I found room for the pumpkin pie and strawberry cheesecake that my parents brought but somehow I did, AND washed it all down with a cup of tea.  I felt like I was going to explode by that point, but it was such a good meal, and I love that tonight we’ll be having a second feast with the leftovers!  What could I be more thankful for than not having to cook tonight!

We had a great visit with my parents, which ended with lots of laughter.  Andrew was super cute and quite clingy with my dad last night.  He wanted to know all about his childhood, and all the mischief he got into when he was a little boy!  It was really sweet how he was all cuddled up to his papa.  The girls were really good, too, and I loved that they all LOVED the Tofurkey, and asked for second and third helpings of it.  That was a proud vegetarian mommy moment for sure!

I can’t believe today is the girls’ last day as two year olds.  It’s just crazy to me that my BABIES are turning THREE tomorrow.  They know it’s their birthday soon so they got up this morning saying, ‘I’m not a baby anymore, I’m a big girl!’ and it’s so true.  They’re so grown up, learning more and more each day, and they’re truly little girls now.  I’ll still call them my babies, because they ARE my babies, but wow...three already.  Time’s flying by too fast!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird