Wednesday, August 26, 2015

If only summer could last a few more months...or more

It has been SUCH a hot, dry summer here on the usually ‘wet coast.’  It’s been amazing, actually.  Not so much for the earth itself, since obviously we’re in dire need of rain to feed all the trees and plants (which apparently we’re in for - after tomorrow all that’s in the forecast is rain…)  But I have to be honest, I’ve loved how dry it’s been.  I’ve gotten used to being able to plan outdoor events without even really giving the weather much thought, because it’s just assumed it’s going to be sunny and hot.  I love that!  People have been calling this ‘the new California’ and I have to say, I’ll take it!  Now, I know California has been in a serious drought situation...and I also know that it would be nice to be able to get back to using water without feeling such a need to conserve (I don’t even remember the last time we had the kids’ outdoor pool filled up, despite that the heat has made us wish we could use it daily).  But no rain has been glorious, and I could seriously get used to this.  I worry we’re going to have a harsher winter to make up for how dry the summer has been, which freaks me out because I’m not a snow person (one or two days is fine but that’s about it!)  I never realized it, but maybe I COULD get used to living somewhere warmer!  The only thing that holds me back from that is the size of the bugs and spiders in a hotter climate.  I’ve noticed the spiders around here have expanded in size over the summer and that’s one thing about the heat I can say I could never love!

We were spending a LOT of our time out in the backyard until they started with the fence building/clear cutting of trees business.  This tree has become a major issue the past few days, as our entire backyard has been full of little wood chips and dust from the 100s year old tree that was taken down.  Still sad about that one...I look forward to when we can get back to using our yard, but I fear with the rain coming we won’t be able to finish the project in time and we’ll end up not finishing it till next spring.  I can’t stand when things are in such disarray.  I’m hoping we can at least get it seeming more like it’s supposed to look this way before we pack it in for the winter!

I’m not ready for summer to end.  I feel SO SAD about Andrew starting up at school again in just a couple of weeks.  Just 2 more weeks of summer!  Or is it a week and a half now.  UGH.  I’m so not ready.  I can’t let on to him that I feel this way because I want to encourage him and make him feel excited about school starting.  But I just want to cry.  I don’t look forward to making lunches for him every night (coming up with lunches for James is challenging enough, but Andrew is more specific about what he’ll eat, and I’m just praying that his grade one teacher doesn’t have an issue with peanuts entering the classroom because if she does I’m really in for it, since PB&J is my go-to for him).  I’m not looking forward to having to be up and ready and PRESENTABLE AND probably worst of all, in a mode where I’m ready to actually CONVERSE with people, AND have all the kids dressed and ready and fed and out the door by 8:30 in the morning.  I’m not ready to have to make sure the girls are on a schedule that works for picking Andrew up at 3, especially since they’ve taken to napping slightly later lately and aren’t usually up till after 3, and I’ve enjoyed the leeway because it’s meant that we can plan outings and go do things and not worry that it might coincide with when they have to take their nap by, because it’s not that big a deal if it’s a bit on the later side.  Now it will be a big deal!  I know in some ways my life will be ‘easier’ with Andrew ‘out of my hair’ for 6 hours a day, and I KNOW the enriching experience of school is ultimately good for all of us.  But I like having my boy around!  As much as he’s demanding and makes me crazy at times, I love being around him, and I’ll miss all the extra time we get to spend together.  He’s been at his nana’s in Victoria the past few days (on his way home right now) and I’ve really missed him.  It’s been way too quiet without him here!  

Why oh why does summer have to end?  It feels like it just started.  Fall can go somewhere else, I really don’t feel the need for it this year!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird