Thursday, April 30, 2015

Gym update

I’ve been doing really well with getting to the gym 3 times a week.  I’ve gone 4 times a week a few of the weeks, but generally it’s 3.  I definitely don’t think I look different, but I can honestly say I already feel stronger (I can do more reps with higher weights in the same amount of time from when I first started, and when I used my exercise bike at home yesterday I noticed I have more strength in my legs, too).  I usually do the circuit, sometimes some of the machines more than once, and sometimes add on some minutes using the elliptical. I do want to make a goal of going for a bit longer than I usually do, so I can fit in more extras beyond just the circuit, but the convenience of a quick 30 minute full body workout is great, especially when I have a few other errands to run, and only a short amount of time to get it all done in.

It feels great to know I’m getting some regular exercise and getting stronger.  I say I don’t look different because I don’t think anyone else would notice it, but I HAVE noticed that none of my pants are fitting quite the same, and they slide down and it really gets on my nerves.  I’m not ready to go out and buy a new size of pants yet, but I do think it’s a sign that an inch or two have dropped from my waistline already.

I find on the days that I go to the gym, I eat better than on the days that I don’t.  If I go on the weekend it’s best because I go earlier in the day, so I am more mindful of what I’m putting into my body the rest of the day because it seems pointless to follow a workout by eating junk.  Not saying I eat all that much junk, but just things like crackers and cheese or chips and salsa can be bad if you’re not really monitoring it.  When I go to the gym in the evening after dinner (which is my usual routine), I find I don’t snack much in the evening.  I have one snack because I’d be starving if I didn’t given how late I go to bed, but I don’t eat much and I’m more careful about what the snack food is.  So I know that if I incorporate this food stance into my every day and ate a lot more mindfully, I’d be dropping a lot more inches.  I really need to get on that...Food is so hard to give up, and while it’s not like I just sit around and binge eat because I don’t, I also don’t know that a true ‘diet’ in the sense of cutting stuff out and never allowing myself to have it again would work for me.  As soon as I think I ‘can’t’ have something, I seem to want it all the more!  I also think life is too short to deprive oneself of the things they love - although of course having those things in moderation is also important to living a long life.

It feels good to have that bit of time to myself, even if it’s just an hour, to know I’m going and doing something productive for myself.  It’s a really supportive environment, I never feel self-conscious even though the thought of a gym atmosphere would generally make me feel uneasy.  I feel really good about the choice I made.  

Unfortunately this week is going to be a total bust, unless I can drag myself there tomorrow, which I will depending how I feel.  I’m getting sick and am currently feeling the horrible feeling I always get in my chest/throat before the cold really takes hold...So frustrating.  I feel like we only get a few weeks of good health between all the viruses we end up with.  I’m so tired of it.  And now of course I feel way too out of it to be able to go to the gym, so then I feel like the little bit of progress I’ve made will be easily lost...But there’s not a whole lot I can do about it.  I just have to get better so I can get back to it.  It’s only been 3 days since I went, so I’m not too far gone!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird