Monday, December 22, 2014

Pre Christmas craziness and Andrew's 6th birthday party

It was a really busy/stressful week last week, and I’m glad to have it over with.  I got so burnt out that I literally made myself sick.  My body just started shutting down, forcing me to stop doing so much but at the worst time possible.  I still had so much to do.  I managed though, and luckily James was able to work from home on Friday and helped me out A LOT.  I don’t know what I would have done otherwise.  (Especially when on Thursday around 11pm I discovered YET ANOTHER LEAK, this time in our downstairs bathroom ceiling...which meant shutting off the water and again having to have someone come in to do repairs in the morning...They’re replacing the drywall on Xmas Eve....but I’m not even going to focus on that…)

The maple walnut fudge Andrew and I made, that we packaged to look like Rudolph, turned out REALLY well, I was actually really proud of them.  I found the idea on Pinterest and while my fudge didn’t look ‘perfect’, it tasted delicious, and it looked festive anyway!  We made them for Andrew’s teacher, principal, and other staff at the school that are special to Andrew.  We made 9 total.  It was a lot of work, but totally worth it.  Andrew also made cards for everyone, and we got his teacher a few extra goodies for her present.

I felt like I had the flu all day on Friday.  James let me have a few hours sleep in the afternoon, and I woke up feeling just as crummy as before the rest, but I’m sure I’d have been worse off if I hadn’t had that.  I still had to go out in the evening to get the last minute stuff for Andrew’s birthday party, which we were hosting on Saturday.  I picked up his cake, which was done in red, blue, and green (Super Mario colours) and I added the cake topper I’d bought online.  It came together really nicely!  We ordered the pizza Friday night, too, so we’d have everything for the party and not have to worry about anything in the morning.  I had all the decorations and table set up for the party by 8pm on Friday night.

Saturday morning I was (thankfully) feeling a bit better, and everything came together perfectly for the party.  Being prepared in advance, I didn’t have much to do in the morning, so it wasn’t like I had to race around and feel stressed about getting everything ready.  

Only 3 of the 5 kids that were invited to Andrew’s party showed up.  It was kind of funny, because the kid who’d made a big deal about not being invited so we invited him, did not show up!  And the only girl who was invited wasn’t allowed to come.  So it was basically his 3 best friends from school that were here.  It turned out to be a really good dynamic and 3 was plenty, because it meant there were the 4 boys and then with our two girls, it still seemed like a lot of people!  Two of the parents stayed and that ended up being really nice because we got to chat more and get to know each other a bit better.  Since we of course live in the same area, it’s nice to know that not only can Andrew have play dates with his friends in the future, but we can get together, too!  It finally feels like we’re getting to know some people in the neighbourhood, which is nice.  It turns out that one of his friends lives in the complex right behind ours, and they can actually see our backyard from the front of their house!

The boys were a bit rough with each other and fought a little bit, but for the most part they played well together.  I was a little surprised to see how boys interact so aggressively, although I guess I shouldn’t have been!  They found a box of old Halloween costumes and took turns dressing up as different characters, and they danced around and played Blind Man’s Bluff.  We have tons of toys so they just randomly played for a while, and then we got them sitting in the dining room for pizza.  They liked the Super Mario theme and seemed to appreciate the activity placemats I’d got, and while they didn’t eat a whole lot they all seemed to like the food.  We had to do cake right after the pizza because one of Andrew’s friends had to leave a bit early, so we did that and then the kids played a bit more and before we knew it, the party was over.

Andrew got an iron man toy, 2 shirts (one that says Santa’s Helper and one that says Big Brothers Rock!) and $10 and some tattoos.  We gave him a Super Mario t-shirt (to wear at his party) and a DVD of the Super Mario Brothers Super Show, which was a cartoon from 1989.  He and the girls all seem to like it, even though I find it quite cheesy (although I remember watching it sometimes when it was on back in the day!)

Andrew really enjoyed his party, and one of his friends said it was the best birthday party he’s ever been to!  He tends to tell it like it is, so I took it as a good sign that the party was a hit.

I had thought that the kids party would have been more stressful for me, since it involved non-family members who’d never been to our house before, but I actually found it to be WAY less stressful than the usual parties we’ve done where it’s all family!  Not sure exactly what I mean by that…(!!!) but I will say that one it’s hard to compare because the usual parties generally involve a lot more people, so of course there’s a lot more prep involved, but two I find kids in the 5-6 year age range pretty easy to please, so we didn’t really have to do a whole lot to ensure they were having a good time!  I’m REEEEALLY glad I decided to do his birthday party BEFORE Christmas, so that on his actual birthday we can do something much more low key and not be having to put on a party on New Year’s Eve.

With the party out of the way, I started to feel a weight lifting from my shoulders, and I felt a whole lot better, although I still don’t feel 100%.  I’m just tired, I don’t think I have a virus at least (except for the cough I’ve had for over a month that won’t go away).  I’m just a bit run down, but definitely not as bad as I was a few days ago.  James’ mom came over later in the afternoon on Saturday, so James and I went out for a quick coffee date, and then had a bite to eat at Fatburger (because I had a groupon to use up).  It was a really rushed date because we didn’t have much time, but it was nonetheless enjoyable to be out for a bit just the two of us.

Yesterday we had a ‘quiet’ day (as quiet as a day can be with 3 little kids…!!!) James went to the mall to do some last minute shopping, then I had a little break while the girls had their nap.  Later in the afternoon I took the kids over to my parents’ place for a couple of hours so James could rest, then I had another little break, and then we got the kids sorted and took them for our annual drive to look at Christmas lights!  It’s one of my favourite things to do around the holidays, so I was really excited about it.  It was a clear night and we ended up seeing so many amazing light displays.  We all had a great time.  I love how the girls got so into it, too.  Emily would call out, ‘Daddy’s side, Daddy’s side!’ when there were good lights coming up from his side of the car.  It was really cute.  When Andrew started getting tired (it was way past the girls’ bed time, and getting to be past his, too), we said we were heading home and Margaret said, ‘No, MORE LIGHTS, MORE LIGHTS!’ because she wanted to keep going!  It was really sweet.  I love sharing those traditions with our kids.

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird