Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Braving the summer heat

Aug 9 - I had hoped to go to a Saturday market as we’ve still yet to go to one all summer...but it didn’t work out again due to the babies’ nap time coinciding with the optimum time to go.  Instead, after their nap we loaded the kids up into the van, stopped by Subway for an easy picnic lunch, and headed to Blue Mountain Park in Coquitlam.  It’s a really great park, featuring pretty much everything you’d expect and then some.  There’s a big playground for all ages, a great water park, and even a wading pool.  Lots of trees for shade on such a hot summer day, too.  We spent a lot of time at the spray park, which was lots of fun and I got totally drenched having a water fight with Andrew!  I love how all 3 kids absolutely love the water.  After the spray park we checked out the playground for a while, but even soaking wet it felt too hot in the sun.  We finished off with a little splash in the wading pool and then it was time to call it a day.

Aug 10 - The plan was to check out Rocky Point Park in Port Moody, which we’ve never been to before but it was/is on my ‘summer bucket list.’  We got there only to discover all the parking lots in the area were bursting at the seams, there was literally ZERO parking anywhere in the vicinity, and we circled around a few times in hopes of something opening up for us but no such luck.  I was a little bummed about that, but James looked up other parks in Coquitlam that would be somewhat on our way home and we found a little gem of a park very close to Blue Mountain (I can’t remember the name of it). It had a cool spray park that was mostly in the shade, and we had fun playing at that, but while the kids did check out the playground for a bit, it was just way too stifling hot to be out in the direct sun for any length of time.  The cool thing about the experience was that we pretty much had the whole entire park to ourselves the entire time we were there.  Not that it’s bad to share, and I like to see the kids interacting with other children, but it was more relaxing just being able to let the kids run around doing their own thing.

The weekend went by way too fast, and James and I were both pretty exhausted after the outings.  I think the heat was getting to us, and we just don’t have the luxury of being able to fully relax/feel rested, etc.  It was great for the kids to have those outings, though.  I feel like it’s so important for us to get them out like that even at times when we might think it’s easier to just stay home, because the weekend really is the only time we can get them out for any period of time like that.  It still makes me sad/stresses me out that logistically I can’t take my kids out on my own (unless the babies are locked into the stroller, but they aren’t ok with that for very long stretches of time anymore, so we’re pretty limited in what we can do!)  

I was way too tired on the weekend to do a grocery shop but we really needed stuff, so on Monday morning I braved the store with all 3 kids - something I haven’t done for a LONG while.  I regretted it as soon as we walked in the door and Andrew was bossing me about something while both the girls started sobbing and were trying every which way to escape from their stroller!  (We had to get enough groceries that I had to push the stroller and pull the cart, like old times when I used to shop with all 3 regularly!)  But once I started moving the girls were mostly ok, and then I caved and got a bag of cheesies to feed them some junk food to get me through the rest of the shop without all the whining.  Desperate times call for desperate measures!  It was 9am and there I was plugging my babies mouths with cheesies, but hey, whatever works, right?!  By the time we got to the till they didn’t want the cheesies so I gave them each an olive to keep them occupied while I got the groceries into the van.  What an adventure that was...Definitely don’t plan on shopping with all 3 again any time soon, but it was either that or go on my own or just with Andrew when I’m exhausted in the evening, so I guess it felt at the time like the lesser of two evils.

Yesterday it was just a ‘me and Margaret’ day, for the first time ever in her life!  My mil took Andrew and Emily for the day.  We had a nice day just the two of us, although it rained off and on enough that I didn’t want to venture out with her somewhere outside just in case the rain hit while we were out.  I also resist because I’d have to use the double stroller and I hate the thought of having to use that with just one baby!  (My mil has a tendency to ‘lose’ umbrella strollers...two now, actually...but anyway).  I also just wasn’t feeling all that great, and still have a really bad sore throat that’s making me wonder if I’m coming down with something.  Still, we had lots of snuggle time that we don’t usually have with 2 other snugglers fighting for the attention, and it was interesting to watch her just play on her own and not need her sister or brother there to help entertain her.  She had mommy's full attention for once!! Throughout the day she did mention ‘Andrew and Emmy’ and explained to me, ‘Daddy, go, Nana’ - that they had gone with Daddy to spend the day with Nana.  But I think she quite enjoyed her day just her.  Next time I’d definitely like to have a nice outing with her somewhere, especially since it’d be ‘easy’ taking advantage of ‘only’ having one child with me, which of course is still a lot of work but would feel easy compared to adding a +2 to the mix!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird