Thursday, July 17, 2014

A visit to the doctor, then the water park!



Yesterday Emily was downtown with my mil, so first thing in the morning I decided to take Margaret to a walk-in clinic.  She’s had a bit of a rash for a week-ish, and I’ve been thinking in the back of my mind I really should have her checked out, but trying to go to a walk-in clinic with crazy potential wait times with 3 kids made me put it off and put it off some more.  Having ‘just’ 2 kids with me made it seem not quite as potentially disasterous.  The clinic I took her to is in part a ‘children’s clinic’ specifically, yet they do not allow strollers inside AT ALL.  So that was another reason I had put off going, as logistically it would be IMPOSSIBLE to take both girls and not have a stroller!  I wore Margaret in the Ergo to go in and that worked for about 15 minutes…but we both got so sweaty and she hated being confined.  I like the concept of baby-wearing, it’s just that I’ve never personally had a baby that enjoyed being worn for any length of time!  They are all cuddly kids but being forcibly strapped to even their mother is like torture to them.  OK, it’s not THAT bad, but it isn’t something I could do for a prolonged period.  Although now that Andrew’s 5 and above the weight limit of a carrier, I bet he’d be pleased as punch to get carried around in one!  LOL  Funny how that works.

We got to the clinic less than an hour after it opened, by which time they were already at number 18 and we got number 28.  I asked how long of a wait we were looking at and the receptionist suggested we come back in 20 minutes if we wanted to go for a walk or something.  I set a timer on my phone for 20 minutes (if you’re not back when your number is called, you have to re-register) and we went to the store and got a few groceries and things that we needed, and just so happened to get back as the timer was going off.  I opted to leave the Ergo in the van and just carried Margaret in, which I do think ended up being the best decision, but it was still a very long wait.  They were only at number 20 when we got back.  So 2 numbers in 20 minutes – it wasn’t looking good for us!  After exhausting all options of ‘interesting things to look at’ in terms of artwork in the waiting room, Andrew threw himself down and said a little too loudly (and dramatically), ‘Mommy, when’s it going to BE our TUUURN?!’  By that point I think we were at number 22….Still a ways to go.  I was sweating bullets, but playing with my iPhone made Andrew content, and I just had Margaret to keep happy.  She was pretty good about it, considering we never wait around like that for anything so she’s not accustomed to being bored, sweaty, and unable to move around.  I didn’t want to put her down as she’d take off down the hall (she had her eye on it the whole time) and I knew it’d be a total gong show chasing after her.  And once she’d feel the freedom she’d refuse to be picked up again (I know what she’s like!)  So, yeah.  She started melting down and I could feel the stares because of course people didn’t want to listen to a toddler wailing, but by that point I was at a loss for what to do, and we were up to number 26.  Two more to go and it would be our turn!  I wasn’t going to give up at that point!  The stars aligned and number 27 was a no show, so we got in sooner than I’d thought. 

At first, because of my description of Margaret’s symptoms, the doctor thought she may have the hand/foot/mouth disease.  (Mainly because the rash is also on the palm of her hands, yet not the top of her hands, which is a bit of a more rare symptom).  It freaked me out to hear that because I know how contagious it is and I didn’t want the rest of us getting it.  But it turns out it’s ‘just’ a virus.  I had thought maybe heat rash but apparently, no, it’s a virus that she did catch from someone, and it presented at first as a cold, as they often do.  (I had no idea a rash and a cold could be linked like that!)  She got the cold first and then Andrew got it, then me, then Emily got a mild version of it.  My parents got the cold as well.  But no one else who was in contact with her (that we know of) got the rash.  Apparently it’s quite contagious but only for the first 7 days from the first signs of onset, and she is past that now, so the doctor assured me she is on the mend and I was already doing the right thing by applying calomine lotion to it.  She sometimes wakes up and when I go to her she says, ‘Itchy!’ so I wanted to be sure I wasn’t going about it the wrong way by applying calomine and not doing anything else for her.  I got the reassurance I needed, so I guess it was worth the hour and a half it took to get it…….Oh, walk-in clinics.  I hated them when it was just me waiting for a crazy length of time to see someone back in the day (I once waited over 3 hours with an absolute MIGRAINE that I was sure was going to kill me at any moment) but when you’re waiting with kids, it’s on a whole other level.  It went well all considered, though.  Margaret was scared of the doctor but I think she thought she was going to have to get needles, because she likely associates doctor’s offices with immunizations.  I wish we’d been able to go see our actual family doctor, who I really love, but he works so far away from us downtown, and with such reduced hours now, walk-in was really our ‘best’ option.

So we did that, came home and had some fruit and then I gave the kids an ice cream treat for being so good and as a pick me up for the way the morning was.  Margaret was pretty tired from the events so I took her upstairs for her nap, and Andrew and I lazed around, had some lunch, watched a bit of a movie we hadn’t seen before on Netflix.  I felt tired and lazy but I also felt like we should take the opportunity to do something more than sit around the house on such a hot summer day, especially after hearing from my mil that Emily had dipped into the ocean and was loving her day.  She’d also ridden downtown on the back of James’ bike, which was a first for her, and she was so excited about it.  So I felt like Margaret was really getting the short end of the stick if all she did all day was go to the doctor!

I asked Andrew where he’d want to go if we were to go do something fun and he immediately said, ‘Water park!’ so I thought about it and it seemed like a pretty good idea.  Usually when Margaret wakes up she’s out of sorts and moody and cries a bit and takes her time waking up and getting back into the groove of the day.  But when I said, ‘Do you want to go to a water park, Margaret?’ she said, ‘Yeah!  GO!’ so I threw just a few things into a backpack that I thought we might need, got them changed into water-appropriate attire, slathered on the sunscreen (forgetting a few spots on myself which I am regretting…) and off we went.  I knew I didn’t want to use the double stroller for one ‘baby’ so I packed as lightly as I could so I’d be able to carry the bag and carry Margaret as need be.

I’m so glad we went!  The playground was stifling as it was such a HOT day once again, but the water park totally cooled us off.  What I forgot to bring was something to use at the water park, so I emptied out Margaret’s sippy cup (having also brought a few juice boxes) and Andrew used the cup as a means to soak Margaret and me, and quite gleefully I might add.  He was good about sharing though – every so often he’d soak me like crazy and I’d so, ‘OK, my turn!’ and he’d fill the cup for me so I could throw some water at him.  It was actually really quite fun!  Margaret enjoyed it, and does love the water, but she got to a point where she wasn’t that into it anymore.  Andrew was still wanting to be there so it was tough because he was disappointed having to go, but I knew we had to for Margaret’s sake.  We went down to the field to ‘warm up’ in the sun since we were so drenched, and the kids had a drink and a bit of a snack, but that seemed to rejuvenate Margaret and she agreed with Andrew that we should head back to the water park rather than home.  I obliged, for about 10 minutes, and then they obsessed over a water fountain for a few, Margaret threw a tantrum while I changed her into dry clothes, and we went over to my parents’ place for a little visit, since they live quite close to the park.

We visited there for about an hour, and then I brought Margaret home but Andrew stayed on till after dinner.  I gave Margaret a tubby and we watched a bit of Tangled together and had some cuddle time before I had to go make supper.  It was a good day!  I’m so glad I took the (2 of 3) kids out rather than just staying at home.  Our yard is fun and we have our own sprinkler (my dad got us a cool sprinkler that just puts out mist which is pretty awesome for keeping cool and having fun without using up a ton of water) but it’s not the same as getting out and playing at the park.  All in all, a successful summer day!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird