Sunday, November 24, 2013

My mom's new knee



My mom had knee replacement surgery yesterday.  It has been a whirlwind getting here, and I’m feeling emotional as well as emotionally DRAINED at the moment.  She was in absolute agony for the better part of a year and it felt like her surgery date was never going to arrive.  It finally did, and now she’s on the road to recovery.  It’s going to be slow going, as knee replacements take a while to heal, and unfortunately she’s most likely going to need the other knee done in the not too distant future.  But it’s a good thing that she’s started the process of healing.  I just hate that she’s having to go through it at all.

Yesterday was one of the most stressful days I can ever remember having.  I got myself so worked up about her surgery and couldn’t focus on anything whatsoever after my dad and I left as she was about to be wheeled to the OR.  I wanted to just stay at the hospital and wait for the surgeon to tell me it was done, but my dad convinced me that we should go home for a while and head back once we got the OK from the nurse’s station.  I’m glad I finally agreed, as we left the hospital around 10am and didn’t get to see my mom till 7pm!  Crazy.  I was an absolute ball of stress the entire day, waiting.  I hate the way it made me feel!  The surgeon did call me in the early afternoon to let me know that everything had gone perfectly, which helped ease my mind somewhat, but I was just so anxious to go visit my mom.

Anyway…it’s going to be a bit of a crazy time the next little while, because I want to help my mom as much as I possibly can.  Which will be challenging, since I can’t take the kids with me when I go to her place, since we can’t risk them going anywhere near her knee, which they obviously would.  I’ll have to have someone helping me with the kids whenever I go to help her, so it’s complicated…And stressing me out.  I want to be able to be more helpful than I’ll probably end up being able to be, but I’m going to do everything I can to be there as much as possible.

I’m soooo tired though, more than usual.  This knee replacement has exhausted me, and it wasn’t even my knee! Lol

Sometimes I wish life could just slow down a bit…My life isn’t even fast-paced, it would probably appear to be snail paced to outsiders looking in, but to me it feels like I don’t have time to stop and just think, or, heaven forbid, just sleep

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird