Saturday, November 09, 2013

Kid catch up...



Andrew is really into watching toy reviews on Youtube.  One of his favourites is Mike Mozart’s channel, but ultimately any toy reviews will do.  There are definitely some down sides to letting him watch this kind of stuff…One being that he is so interested in toys now, more than he ever was before, and he knows exactly what he wants!!  Not only is this a ‘problem’ in the consumerist sense, but because a lot of reviews are done on toys that are no longer sold in stores, even if I wanted to indulge the consumerism it wouldn't be possible!  If only I’d kept all my childhood toys!!  Andrew would have had a field day going through them all.

I thought it was totally mindless crap I was letting him watch (although in my defense it’s not like I let him watch toy reviews all the time!  Most of the shows he watches are on educational kids channels) but it turns out he’s learning from them!  He looks at toys and analyzes them, talks about their ‘articulation’ (which gets me every time…it just sounds so funny coming from a 4 year old, but he seriously knows what he’s saying!)  The other day I was taking pictures of some of his toys and I was having trouble getting the camera to focus in on what I was taking a picture of.  Andrew came over and put his hand behind the toy and said, ‘There, now you can take it.’  He had learned from the toy reviews that if the camera isn’t focusing properly, putting your hand behind the object will help bring it into focus.  I thought that was quite clever.

As of yesterday, Andrew is sporting a Mohawk!  I was desperate to cut his hair because it was starting to grow into the weird helmet shape his hair takes on as it gets longer.  His hair seriously has a mind of its own!  When I was cutting his hair (#2 on the razor all over), I decided for fun I’d leave behind a Mohawk and see how it looked.  It was meant to stay on for a minute and then I’d lop it off, but it turned out he loved it and I thought it looked pretty cute too!  So he’s sporting it for the time being.  He worries about it though…I got up this morning and the first thing he did was point to his head and ask if his Mohawk was still there and did it look OK.  LOL  I’ve never been keen, in all honesty, on little kid or baby mohawks, but I can’t help but think it’s looking cute on Andrew right now!  It’s not an obnoxious one, I did my best to make it cute and not annoying!!

Andrew’s favourite game right now is Sorry!  He LOVES THAT GAME.  He’s also really good at it.  I know a lot of it is just luck of the draw, but in terms of the strategy aspect, he really knows how to play the game.  We don’t play it every day but some days when the girls go for their nap, we will have a couple of rounds of Sorry! over a cup of tea/hot chocolate/milk/whatever.  That or reading books or doing a craft – it’s our mother/son time, which feels so rare these days so we have to take it when we can. 

As for the girls…As of 3 days ago, both are weighing 21.6lbs.  Exactly the same to the ounce!  Which is crazy to me because Emily definitely feels heavier.  When you pick Margaret up, she just sort of sinks into you and feels sort of wafe-like.  Whereas Emily feels very sturdy.  It has basically always been that way, and yet the most weight difference there has ever been between them was 4 ounces at birth (with Emily being the heavier one!)  I just find it shocking they are the same weight.  I don’t know their height but it has got to be basically identical, too, because their pants fit to the same length and they look to be the same height when they stand together.

They are just too cute for words.   Both have lots of teeth, I think Margaret has 9 and Emily has 12.  Margaret has one of her molars and one is just about to come through, Emily has 3 molars already!  Crazy.  They pretty much eat anything and everything.  They’ve been completely off formula for probably 3 weeks now.  They drink regular milk at nap time and night time and otherwise it’s water or water with a little bit of juice added, and food food FOOD, they LOVE their food!  There really isn’t anything I can think of that I’ve given them that they don’t like.  Some things they of course choose over other things, and some things they’ll only eat a few bites of, but they’re really not that picky about their food. 

Emily says Hi now (she has for a few weeks) but says it as if she has a southern drawl, it’s kind of funny!  She also loves to wave as she says it and often will wave both hands at once.  It’s ADORABLE when James gets home from work – as soon as the girls hear the key in the lock, they started saying, ‘Hi!’  Margaret says it over and over, generally until she hears you say it back and then a few times again after that!  Margaret has been saying, ‘Uh oh’ for maybe 2 weeks.  Emily started saying it yesterday and now she’s enjoying saying it, and what I love is that she says it in appropriate situations.  Margaret does too but she also says it seemingly ‘just because’ she wants to say something!  Whereas Emily…for example, today she was holding a straw (which maybe she shouldn’t have been but whatever, I was monitoring her) and she dropped it and couldn’t reach down to get it so she said, ‘Uh oh!’ which made me reach down and get it for her and I could tell she was pretty pleased with herself when I handed the straw back to her!

Emily jabbers in gibberish and it is SO cute to listen to!  Especially on her toy phone, or if I hold the phone out to her when I’m talking to my mom, she starts talking in complete (gibberish) sentences with a cute little smile on her face.  I love it!  I love how both girls will hold the phone up to their ear and say, ‘Hi!’  Margaret has a few words in her vocabulary now.  She also tries to say new words more and more lately.  Yesterday I suggested it be nap time and she went over to the gate by the stairs and started saying, ‘Na, na!’ which I took as her way of saying ‘nap.’  She will also try to mimic words that she doesn’t tend to say/hear often.  For example, she held up an empty plastic bowl after she and Emily had eaten all the grapes from it, and I said, 'You’ve got the bowl!’ and she looked at it and said, ‘Bo.’

One of the cutest things is watching them dance.  We use youtube a lot for watching music videos (their current fave is to watch ‘Just Dance’ videos, their absolute fave being That’s What Makes You Beautiful by One Direction!  LOL  Which btw I had never heard of before we started watching those videos, but they’re loving it, and so is Andrew!)  As soon as the girls see youtube load on the TV, they will both start bobbing up and down saying, ‘Da, da!’ which means, ‘Dance, dance!’ because they’re anticipating music.  They love everything from One Direction to Macklemore to Serena Ryder to Psy…The past few days Emily has particularly enjoyed Ricky Martin’s Livin’ La Vida Loca!  LOL

The girls have started playing together, which is SO SWEET to watch.  As newborns they were close in the sense that they preferred sleeping right next to each other, and often their poses looked to be how they would have been scrunched up together in the womb.  They didn’t acknowledge each other beyond wanting to be cuddled close.  Then they went through a phase where they didn’t have to co-sleep (not that they wouldn’t, just that they didn’t seem to care either way) and while I still noticed a bond between them, it’s not like they were really interacting.  But now they do, not always a ton but it’s becoming more and more.  This week they took to the little blue toy wagon from Ikea that was Andrew’s when he was their age, and they take turns pushing each other around in it.  It’s SO CUTE, they will smile at each other and giggle and Emily in particular LOVES being the one to push the cart while Margaret rides along!  I got a really cute video of Emily pushing Margaret, and Margaret is pointing at stuff going, ‘Ooooh!’ and then Emily crashes the cart into something and Margaret goes, ‘Uh oh!’  Too cute.  It’s still not ‘easy’ having twins (as if it ever will be!) but it’s proving to be more rewarding as I see the built in play mate they each have.  It’s just so sweet to see them make each other laugh and smile, and they trample each other sometimes but they’re so used to that closeness that it doesn’t bother them!

So much more I could update on…I hate that I am rarely blogging these days, but I just don’t have much time.  I want to change that though…I’m working on getting more organized…!!!  One day it will happen...


No comments:



blogger template by lovebird