Friday, July 26, 2013

Summer goodness



Summer is in full swing and I am loving it!  It’s so amazing having so many sunny days, it’s going to take getting used to when it’s back to the ‘r’ word (rain!)

The babies are growing like crazy.  Both girls can stand completely unassisted now, so walking is definitely in their near future.  Andrew started at 10 months, they are almost 9.5 months.  It’s just so hard to believe that they’ve grown this fast and are already getting ready to WALK.  Where did my BABIES go?!!

They are cuter by the minute (hard to imagine, since they were so darn cute to begin with!)  I love having 2 babies at once.  It’s still as chaotic as ever, and will never be without it’s challenges.  But getting to experience two sweet and completely unique personalities is so amazing.  I also love how they look different – definitely similar and at times I mix them up (if I’m looking at the backs of their heads and they’re in identical outfits, it can be hard to tell them apart!) but they look and even FEEL different.  When I give them kisses, it’s different for each baby.  Which of course makes sense but it’s not something you think about before having twins!  Two beautiful little girls, so much love! 

Andrew too, of course.  The other night it was so sweet – he didn’t want to be upstairs alone to go to sleep (even though I’d just spent close to half an hour reading to him and chatting with him for his tuck in) so I said he could come cuddle with me in the chair for just a few minutes and then he had to go to bed.  I cradled him like a baby, and he fell asleep instantly!  He’s so not a baby anymore at 4.5 years old, yet his Momma can still cuddle him to sleep.  I love that!  I’ve been taking notice and really enjoying moments like that lately, because I can see him growing up so fast, and I don’t want to miss out on the things that one day I’ll be longing to have back.

Today we went to Value Village (Andrew loves to get toys there, and today he also picked out an ‘awesome’ shirt that’s red with fiery dragons on it LOL  It’s size 6x and he’s a size 4T so it’s HUGE on him but he doesn’t care.  I washed it when we got home but didn’t have a chance to get it in the dryer because he was going over to my parents’ for the afternoon.  He wore it anyway, wet!  And wore it to bed, too, and said he’s going to wear it FOR-EV-ER.  When we were driving to VV, he called out from the back of the van, ‘Mommy, you know what?  I was so starving, I just ate one of my finger nails!’  I said, ‘I didn’t bring any food with us, do you think you can wait till after Value Village and we can find a snack somewhere?’  He replied, ‘No, it’s OK, I’m full, I ate my finger nail, remember?!’  LOL!  I seriously could not stop laughing after that.

I love how polite Andrew generally is, and how generous he can be.  He wanted some chocolate today (he definitely inherited my sweet tooth!) and after he ate something healthy and got his treat, he immediately offered a portion of it to me.  I said thanks but it’s yours, you enjoy it.  He insisted I have some, and it was just the cutest thing to see the way he offered it to me.  Simple little things like that just melt my heart, I can’t help but adore that boy!

We’ve been taking pretty good about advantage of the beautiful weather and get outside every day.  Last summer I was so immobile being pregnant with the girls, and missed out on so much, so this year I feel like I’m making up for it at least in some small ways.  I don’t get out to all the places I’d go if I didn’t have 3 small kids with me, but we do get out to parks and our yard spaces have proven to be perfect hang out spots.  The babies love splashing around in the little pool in the backyard (Emily in particular!) and Andrew likes to be the pool filler upper!  I got the kids a little picnic table that converts to a water table for a good price on Craigslist, and all 3 of them love to play with the water part.  Emily in particular, once again – she is definitely my water baby of the 3 of them!  But they’ve all enjoyed it.  The girls have also taken to the slide on the little climber I got them for a steal at only $10 a few months back.  I honestly didn’t think they’d take to it this early but they love it.  This afternoon we spent a good chunk of time in the front yard (where the climber and picnic table are) and they took turns on the slide.  Emily got SO annoyed when I put her down to give Margaret a turn, she is quite the slide hog!  It’s tough sometimes that way, because with one baby they would of course just get to enjoy the activity fully and it would be all about them.  It’s great to have to ‘learn to share’ from a young age but at the same time I think it’s nice for babies/little kids to have a chance to just be numero uno for a while, you know?  There’s not much time in one’s life when it is that way!  I feel bad sometimes that it’s basically NEVER that way for the girls…but on the other hand they don’t know any different, and it’s not like they don’t both experience what the other does.  I try to divide the attention as equally as I can!

I think the biggest challenge at this point is finding time to spend just James and me.  We really don’t get much time together at all.  I’m a little bummed because we’re going to Victoria in a few weeks for his sisters’ wedding and the plan was that we’d have people look after the kids for us and just go for one night on our own.  Our first time just us for a whole night since early May 2012!  Unfortunately it’s just not going to work out, so we’ve since booked an extra night at the hotel and we’re taking the kids with us and it will be a different kind of ‘holiday’.  Not a relaxing one AT ALL, but I’m wanting to look forward to it and enjoy it in other ways.  I just feel sad that I don’t foresee us getting time like that just the two of us potentially for many years, truthfully.  I can be pessimistic sometimes, especially compared to how positive James tends to be, but when I mentioned that to him earlier today he actually agreed with me, it will probably be years.  So it’s not just me saying that!  It’s a harsh reality sometimes, to realize that your relationship is…I don’t know…put on hold?  A tad bit stifled?  I don’t know how to describe it.  James and I have a great relationship over all, in fact I’d read that thing circulating on Facebook about this guy who wrote tips on what not to do in a marriage for his sister who was getting hitched…and I felt like I couldn’t identify, because James really does pretty much all the right things!  We are so good together, and I get it when people say ‘marriage is hard’ because it can be trying at times, but for the most part, I actually think it’s relatively easy.  I couldn’t imagine being with anyone else, James is my rock, and we’re great together.  I just wish we could spend more time just the two of us, but it comes with the territory of having 3 kids under the age of 5 that it’s just not possible.  Oh well, there’s plenty of moments for us to enjoy with the kids in tow!  We often marvel at how wonderful our kids are, and I enjoy those moments a lot.  AND it's our 6th wedding anniversary on Saturday so we do have an afternoon date to look forward to!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird