Sunday, March 24, 2013

Andy Roo


Andrew and his fake 'Cheese!' smile!


I feel like I’ve been neglecting keeping track of what Andrew’s been up to lately, since I focus so much on the babies now.  Although I don’t write about them nearly as much as I’d like to either.  There is so much I know I’ll end up forgetting over time that is so important to me right now…It’s just so hard to find the time to document the way I did when Andrew was a baby!

So Andrew is 4 and almost 3 months.  He is adorable as ever, well actually more so every day.  The things he comes up with are so hilarious!  He makes me laugh all the time.

The other day in the car, we were driving along Lougheed Highway and he said, ‘There’s the train up there, it goes way up in the sky.  And it takes foooorrreeeeevvvver when you take the skytrain!’  I laughed and said, ‘Well, sometimes it might seem like it takes a long time, but I wouldn’t say it takes FOREVER…’ and he said, ‘No, no, no, it’s just an EXPRESSION to say that!  It just means it’s SLOW, not that it REALLY takes forever!’  LOL

He’s pretty much game for anything, as he’s always been.  He loves to learn, and while of course I teach him things, I have no idea where he gets half the stuff he knows.  He amazes me all the time, especially with his vocabulary.  He uses big words correctly, things I wouldn’t expect a 4 year old to understand.

He’s getting more into playing with his toys, and while he prefers it if someone will play with him, he’s getting better about playing on his own and using his imagination to come up with scenarios for his toys to be in.  He sometimes has a short attention span and doesn’t tend to focus on any one toy for any real length of time, although occasionally he will.  I brought his toy box down to have in the living room (we have a HUGE living room, or at least it’s huge to us!) so it makes sense to have it where he’ll use it more.  I do encourage him to play in his bedroom, but he’s still getting used to it being on another level, and isn’t keen on being upstairs when everyone else is downstairs (although he has to when he goes to bed, and he’s good about that).  So I’ve got a bunch of his toys in the living room, and I plan on rotating what’s upstairs and what’s downstairs every so often so he’ll actually play with everything and not forget about all that he’s got (which tells you right there he has way too much…but what can I say…at least the girls will enjoy playing with a lot of the same stuff as they get older!)

Some current favourite toys of Andrew’s are tinker toys and blocks, wrestlers (from the 80s, handed down from my brother!), puzzles, and board games (he loves Sorry! and Snug as a Bug in a Rug, Chutes and Ladders…)  He is also happy to play with balloons (we often play ‘the balloon game’ because it’s easy and can be done even when babies are being held…and the babies love to watch the balloon, too!) or a blanket – it’s amazing how much time he can while away wrapping himself in a blanket and ‘hiding’ under it, etc!  I swear, if all he had was a blanket and some balloons, he’d do just fine!

He also loves his activity books, and colouring (sometimes, although he never spends all that long on it).  Last week he drew pictures on a bunch of pieces of cardboard that had been in the boxes the babies’ highchairs came in, so I made them into a book, and then he had me write jokes in it and called the book ‘Andrew’s Laugh Out Loud Joke Book’!  He loves projects like that, and so do I.  I have such fond memories of doing that same sort of thing when I was little.

Andrew’s VERY active, so I’m looking forward to the warmer weather coming and lots of trips to the park.  He’s such a good boy, I was telling James yesterday that all of our kids are just so GOOD.  We are so lucky.  Yesterday James took Andrew to Crash Crawly’s because he got ’14 black stars’ (he decided black stars are ‘good’ stars and gold ones are ‘bad’!) for sleeping all night in his own bed without waking us up till at least 6am for 2 weeks.  I think we’re on a good roll now of him sleeping through.  Sometimes he’ll wake us up a little earlier than we’d like, and poor James gets up with him, but for the most part he’s doing AMAZING with sleep now.  It took a long time to get him to this point, but it’s going really well finally!  So while the boys were at Crash Crawly’s, I went to Baby’s World (which is right beside CC’s) and I got an Ergobaby carrier.  I’m SO excited about it!  It’s still complicated because it’s not like now I can just carry baby in the carrier – there’s still the 2nd baby to go in the stroller!  BUT I think I’ll get use out of it at home and not just when we’re out.  Sometimes one baby is sleeping and the other wants attention, so I can wear that baby and still do some stuff around the house or whatever.  Today all the kids are downtown so I didn’t get a chance to use it, but tomorrow I’ll try it out.  When I tried it in the store both babies absolutely LOVED it (the store clerk wore Emily and I wore Margaret LOL).  It goes to 40 lbs (which I told the clerk is ridiculous because Andrew is 4 and weighs around 40 lbs but not quite I don’t think, and I couldn’t imagine him wanting to be carried in an Ergo!  LOL)  But then I told Andrew about it and of course he wanted to try it out BEFORE the babies got to try it at home, so I put him in it yesterday and it is amazing how well it dispersed the weight, because I honestly didn’t feel it in my back or anything, I think I COULD carry him around in it easily (although I am not going to – he’s too old for it and I think the novelty of being in it would get old pretty quickly for him!)

Anyway, the girls were SO good while we wandered around to a few stores within walking distance.  We were out for about 2-2.5 hours or so and they had a bottle each and napped and were content to just look around at things with me while they were awake.  So awesome to go out and not be completely frazzled with crying babies the whole time.  It made me feel so much more positive about taking the kids out on more outings!

I’ve got to start jotting down some Andrewisms right after he says them because I’m telling you, the things he comes up with are priceless.

2 comments:

Janice said...

You will love your Ergo, Trista has one too and they are the absolute best !! Love the things kids say, it is so cute. The girls are going to soon be 4 months old? WOW !!

Elizabeth said...

Actually the girls r over 5 months already!! They will be 6 months on April 14. CRAZY I know! Some days might seem long because I have no help and no breaks, but over all the time is really flying by. I am doing my best to enjoy them as babies because I can see how fast they're changing and growing, they won't be babies for nearly long enough!



blogger template by lovebird