Monday, February 18, 2013

Preschool



I’ve enrolled Andrew in a preschool play group starting in a couple of months.  It’s just one day a week for 2 hours, but I think it will be really good for him.  I’m hoping he will meet some friends that we can have over for play dates once in a while.

Since he wouldn’t legally be allowed to start kindergarten this year had he been born 8 hours later than he was, we decided not to enroll him in kindergarten for this fall.  He will start when he’s actually 5, next year.  I don’t like the idea of him being 4 for nearly half of his first year of school, and as chaotic as it is having 3 little ones at home with me, I want to have him with me as long as possible.  Everyone says that once your kids start school, everything changes, and I just want my little boy to be MY little boy for as long as he can be!  Also, I think it will be good for him to bond more with his sisters as they get to be more fun ages along the way. 

So he will start off with this preschool play group, then in the summer/fall there might be a couple of one session little classes we can do with him, and then in the Spring of 2014 we’ll put him in pre-kindergarten, so he’ll get a taste for what will be coming in September.  He’s already so excited about it all.  I think he’s going to be amazing in school and will love to learn, as he already does.  I just like the idea of transitioning him slowly so he’s not just suddenly going to all day kindergarten after not doing anything of the sort leading up to it.  It will still be a huge adjustment because these classes are only one day a week for a few hours, but at least it’s something.  I have someone in my life (I won’t mention names, though if you frequent my blog, you can probably guess who tries to take control at times…) who keeps going on that Andrew NEEDS to be in daycare and should be going at least 3 days a week…I don’t agree.  While I don’t have a problem with people putting their kids in daycare, and I realize for a lot of people it’s an absolute necessity, I don’t see why I would put my child in daycare when I’m a stay at home mom to my other kids!  Also, we can’t afford daycare.  As it is we looked into him going to preschool just 2 days a week and the cheapest prices we were getting were INSANE.  We don’t want to spend that kind of money on it if we don’t have to.  I’m much happier to have found some smaller ‘classes’ for him, to get him more socialized with other kids and in a classroom setting, but without it taking up the majority of the week.

I just can’t believe how grown up my ‘baby’ boy is getting!  When I really think about it, the past 4 years have just flown by.

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird