Thursday, November 08, 2012

Sleep deprivation is an evil, evil thing!



Being up all night is not working for us.  James and I take ‘shifts’ looking after the babies, and try to make them roughly 3 hours each, but because of the timing one of us always ends up with the short end of the stick, getting max 4 hours sleep broken (often less).  Even getting 5 or 6 hours of totally broken sleep isn’t sufficient, not over time.  We’re both struggling with feeling like zombies – in fact, a co-worker of James’ has already nicknamed him ‘Zombie’, which is pretty sad considering he’s only been back to work for a little over a week!

One of the things I love about having twins is that they tend to soothe each other.  When they’re cuddled up together in their bassinet, or on my chest after feeding, they are so cozy together that I’m positive they’re making each other feel content.  But it can have the opposite effect, too.  When one baby fusses and I pick her up, it’s only a matter of a minute or two before the other baby wants to be held, too.  It’s like they instantly sense that the other baby isn’t there, and they don’t want to be alone.  It’s kind of challenging trying to cradle and console TWO babies at the same time, so in these instances I’m torn as to what to do.  I hold one baby and try to soothe the other by rocking the bassinet with my spare hand, or rubbing their tummy.  Possibly getting a wrap that will fit both babies might help with this, so I can carry both around with relative ease, although I’m not sure I’d want to make a habit of putting them in a wrap to soothe them since it wouldn’t always be practical to be wearing the babies, particularly when I’m trying to soothe them back to sleep in the middle of the night.

I’ve noticed these two are a little more sensitive to noise than Andrew was as a baby.  They’re OK with things like the vacuum cleaner, and even were completely oblivious the other day to the sound of a ridiculously loud carpet cleaner in the hallway of my parents’ building.  But if I go to unload the dishwasher, or make any sudden little noise, I find they’re more likely to react to it than Andrew ever was when he was newborn.  I’ve started playing a Dreamland Lullaby cd that Andrew enjoyed as a baby, as a soft background noise that seems to work (sometimes, anyway) to soothe them, or mask the sound of whatever else is going on.  They’re not OVERLY fussy about noise – we can have them in the bassinet and be watching a show or something and they don’t fuss, but it’s just something I’m noticing is more of an issue with them than it was for us in the past.

It’s 5:15am…James is on shift in half an hour.  I have to pump milk before that, and sterilize the bottles afterwards, and the babies seem to be waking up after only being in the bassinet about 10 minutes so far since I went on shift at 3.  Fun times!!

There ARE fun times involved in this…I do enjoy my baby cuddles, even if I do wish I was curled up in bed under the nice warm covers sound asleep in this particular moment!

2 comments:

Lojo said...

Sending you guys love (and energy) :) Look forward to watching these two develop via your blog, and to see how their personalities grow. xoxo

discount jerseys said...

I’ve noticed these two are a little more sensitive to noise than Andrew was as a baby. They’re OK with things like the vacuum cleaner, and even were completely oblivious the other day to the sound of a ridiculously loud carpet cleaner in the hallway of my parents’ building. But if I go to unload the dishwasher,



blogger template by lovebird