Tuesday, October 09, 2012

We almost had a birthday today!



Today ended up being quite an interesting day…I’m still trying to wrap my head around it.

I had an OB appointment (35 weeks, 2 days) and I was sure it would be like all the others – uneventful, asking a few questions, finding out my measurements, and heading home.  My mom said she wanted to go with me and I told her it would be boring, but she insisted.  Well, it turns out I’m glad she did!

My blood pressure turned out to be really high, so my OB took it again and it was still just as high.  She said it wasn’t good, and that it’s not totally abnormal in late pregnancy, particularly with twins, but that it meant there was a chance I would have to be induced as early as tonight.  I was gobsmacked to say the least.  I just couldn’t believe what she was saying.  She asked if I’d had any symptoms and I said I didn’t think so, since I don’t really know what the symptoms would even be.  She asked if I’ve been having headaches, and I said no – I don’t even remember the last time I had a headache.  Then she asked if I’ve seen anything weird in front of my eyes, like dots or anything and I said actually, yes, in the past couple of days I sometimes get these silver dots flashing in front of my eyes for say 10 or 20 seconds and then it goes away.  Then she asked if I’ve had any pain where my liver is – and I didn’t know where my liver was (lol) but she showed me, basically just under the right breast, and I said, yes in the past couple of days I’ve had pain there but I was blaming it on Baby B, I thought it was her foot in my ribs or something.  She said she was going to send me to an outpatient lab to get some blood work etc, but because of the symptoms I WAS having, I should go straight to the hospital so I could get the results immediately.  She said if there was any sign with the blood work of things not being normal, I would likely have the babies tonight.  And even if I didn’t have them tonight, she said she thinks they’ll be here soon, as in, most likely in the next week.  !!!!!

So off my mom and I went to the hospital...Checked into the completely wrong area, ended up waaaaay far away from where we actually needed to be, and finally made our way to Labour and Delivery where I was meant to check in.  We ended up being there for about 3 hours, in which time blood work was taken, and I had a non-stress test done on the babies.  I was feeling nervous but at the same time trying to come to terms with the fact that the babies might be coming NOW and I was starting to think, maybe that’s for the best.  But then my blood work ALL came back perfectly normal, and my blood pressure was taken and it was still a bit high but definitely more toward the normal range.  So I was told to go home and do as little as I can the next while and just try to keep the babies in another week or so.

It was a whirlwind of emotions, that’s for sure.  But in some ways I’m glad it happened because it prepared us for what’s to come, and really made it all the more ‘real’ for everyone involved, I think.  It was good to find out where we go when the time actually comes that I need to be there, and as well it was a good test for James…He didn’t answer his phone when I called to tell him what was going on before we went to the hospital, and he was incognito for at least a full hour before finally he called me back when he was ‘out of a long meeting.’  He now knows that even if he’s in a meeting, I don’t care who it’s with or what it’s about, he HAS to be reachable.  Because if I went into labour on my own, he potentially would have not made it to the hospital in time for the births with not getting my messages for so long.  I was pretty ticked off about that!  So luckily we were able to clear that up and he WILL be reachable to me AT ALL TIMES from  now till it happens!!  So in that sense it was good to go through this because we’re better prepared for what’s going to be happening in the very near future.

It was just hard emotionally because I was just starting to wrap my head around the idea of meeting the babies TODAY when I was told to go home and keep them in there as long as I can.  I’m so huge and uncomfortable and I’ve essentially decided I’M DONE and at this point I am OK with whenever they choose to arrive.  I need to make a follow-up appointment with my OB for later this week and I think we’ll talk about a potentially birthday in case they DON’T decide to come this week on their own.  I think if it’s OK with the OB I might see if we could induce me closer to 37 weeks than 38.  I’d rather not be induced if possible, of course, since being induced is definitely going to mean getting an epidural, and I do worry that with one medical intervention there will be more.  I also worry that the labour will take a lot longer with induction since it’s not naturally when the babies would have chosen to arrive.  But seriously, I can’t take much more of this.  The stress of not knowing when it’s going to happen, and what it’s doing to my body.  The high blood pressure thing for example, apparently it wouldn’t harm the babies so much as it could be fatal to me if it were to get out of control.  Obviously at this point it’s NOT that serious if all the blood work proved to be normal, but still, it’s a concern, and I don’t want anything to happen to any of us.  I really just want my girls here now.  I won’t lie, I’m scared.  But I’m ready.  I want to meet them and start living our new life so I can stop feeling as if I’m in limbo, not really able to do much but wait.

1 comment:

Smelly Danielly said...

This is so exciting! It's almost baby time!



blogger template by lovebird