Friday, September 14, 2012

My giant belly and other stories



As I sit here full up with babies (literally – I can feel them attempt to stretch out and their limbs push waaay up to my chest!) I find it hard to believe that in just a few short weeks, they are going to be here, in my arms instead of my belly!  (I know they’re actually in my uterus, but they HAVE completely taken over my belly, too).

I’m wearing a greenish-blue t-shirt that I got during my pregnancy with Andrew.  I call it my ‘Golden Boy’ (Seinfeld reference) because during the last trimester with Andrew I wore it ALL the time.  It was so comfortable and even though it’s a totally basic shirt, there was just something about it.  In fact, it was even the shirt I was wearing when I went into labour, come to think of it.  I’m wearing it with a new pair of pajama pants from Thyme Maternity, that will go with a nursing pajama top once the twins arrive.  Anyway…I’m mentioning this because I can’t believe how SMALL this shirt is on me!  Which goes to show how much further along I’m showing than I was with Andrew.  I was just over 41 weeks with him when he was born and the shirt fit snug by then for sure but still went right over my belly.  Last week I was measuring 41 weeks, and now the shirt only manages to cover HALF my belly, the lower half sticks out!  It’s so crazy.  I’ve actually found a LOT of my pregnancy tops that I thought would see me right through are already getting too tight, and it’s because they are made to accommodate one baby, not two!

Today my mom and I drove out to this place in Surrey where they have almost every store you could imagine wanting to go to.  It took 45 minutes to drive there (I did the driving, quite proud of myself given it was out of my comfort zone but totally not as bad as I thought it would be once I was doing it!) and we ended up only going to one store and then went for lunch before heading home.  It’s a great place for shopping but due to my lack of mobility, I could really only do what we’d set out to do.  Totally worth it though!  We went to the Carter’s/Osh Kosh store, and WOW, it was huge!  And the prices were amazing.  My mom really wanted to get the girls some matching outfits, and she picked out some really cute things.  I got them a few things, too, in particular little pink fleece ‘bear’ suits that they’ll be able to wear over their clothes from the hospital, and when we have to go out places to keep them warm.  And because Andrew obviously can’t be left out, he got a few clothes too, and his favourite: a pair of dinosaur feet slippers!  He was so thrilled with those.

Everywhere I go now, I have people staring at me like I shouldn’t be out in public.  They’re probably thinking, ‘I don’t want to have to help deliver her baby if she goes into labour right this second!’  People don’t think it might be twins, they think I’m just going to pop, like, RIGHT NOW!  It’s kind of funny, and there’s always an enthusiastic reaction when I say it’s twins and I still have a little ways to go yet. 

I still waver between freaking out in my head about what it’s going to mean to have TWO babies to look after at once, and how awesome it’s going to be to have two.  I don’t think that’s going to go away any time soon.  In fact, I’ve heard moms of twins say that even a few months after having them, there are still times where the shock that they have TWO babies just hits them all over again!  I can only imagine at this time.  It’s just so much to take in!!

I’m so excited to meet them though.  I keep having crazy dreams where they’re popping right through the skin and I can see them and it has got to be because of the anticipation that this is happening SOON.  I can’t believe we’re almost at the finish line…and then the real fun begins!!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird