Thursday, August 02, 2012

Oh, how things change


I know I’m aging myself by saying this…but I’m thinking I’m going to have a hard time when it comes to ‘getting’ the music my kids are inevitably going to get into when they’re tweens/teens.

Last night I was flicking through the channels because I couldn’t sleep due to Baby Activity.  (How they know it’s late at night, I’ll never know, but Baby A in particular gets so active around the midnight hour!)  I came across Late Night with David Letterman…not a favourite show of mine by any means, but there was nothing else on, so I found myself watching an interview with Justin Bieber (it was a repeat, but not a usual watcher of that show, I hadn’t seen it).

Nothing against The Bieb per se, I’d never actually seen an interview or anything of the sort of the guy.  I don’t suffer from Bieber fever!  Obviously he and his music are way too young for me, and I would imagine it’s tweens and very early teens who are into him.  And I want to say I get that.  I was, after all, a die-hard New Kids On the Block fan from ages 9-11.  I’m know my parents didn’t totally get that, either!

I just couldn’t believe how YOUNG Justin Bieber seemed to me.  I’m 32…I feel like I remember being 18 SO WELL, like it wasn’t really all that long ago.  But, I suppose it WAS 14 years ago, which means I’m almost double his age.  Which makes it make more sense that I look at him and think he’s just a child!  It’s crazy how that happens…

I felt like Justin Bieber didn’t really come across as all that…smart.  And if you think about it, why would he be – he started his road to stardom when he was, what, 12 or 13?  While he ‘just graduated’ that doesn’t necessarily mean he really did a whole lot of studying.  I really mean no offense to the guy, as obviously I don’t know him, and one interview isn’t all that telling about a person’s knowledge nor character.  But still…the song he sang, the dance he danced…with all these dancers that looked way too old for him…I don’t know.  It just made me feel old, because I totally didn’t get it, AT ALL.

Not to mention all the other bands with scantily clad women shaking their butts, rappers that all sound the same, voices made to sound electronic…there’s so much crap out there these days – or is it just me stuck in the past?  There’s a lot of music I don’t like, but I think I like a pretty well-rounded mix of stuff…yet most of it isn’t all that current.  I actually have a really hard time picking a radio station to listen to in the car, because there’s just so much crap to filter through on the mainstream channels.  What’s with every song being a club/dance type mix, yet all of them sounding essentially exactly the same?!  Is it just me, or did there used to be more of a mix of genres on one radio station?

Luckily for now, Andrew loves the music that James and I listen to.  He has his favourites, and there are songs he DOESN’T like to listen to, but he loves a lot of classic stuff that I’m hoping will never go out of style.  We’ll see what he gets into as a tween/teen, and I can only imagine who the heartthrobs will be once our twin girls are of age for that…but I have a feeling I’ll be turning into my own parents, which I swore when I was younger that I’d never do, and I’ll be kindly asking them to turn down that ‘noise’!

2 comments:

Smelly Danielly said...

Chad loves pop music. Chad loves Justin Bieber. Chad loves thinking he is still 16. So even though I probably wouldn't know any of the music my kids are going to love when they are teenagers if left to my own devices, I think we will end up listening to all the same music because Chad will love it all!

Elizabeth said...

Haha, that's hilarious! Actually I know a few guys in their 40s who are totally into all the tween music, so I guess it's not JUST for tweens! I don't know what it is, I just can't get into it, at least not Justin Bieber!!!



blogger template by lovebird