Friday, July 13, 2012

A very unfortunate incident...


I know I mentioned recently that I have a pregnancy-induced cat-aversion.  But when it comes right down to it, I love cats, and animals in general for that matter. 

I’m totally beside myself over something that has happened to a neighbour’s cat.  I looked out our living room window a few hours ago, and noticed something in the tree outside that looked like it didn’t belong there.  It’s a fairly sparse tree so if something’s in it, it’s going to be fairly obvious.  I went up to the window and saw it was a cat.  I thought, Oh, there’s a cat stuck in the tree.  But then I could see that it didn’t look right, and I knew it was dead.  It totally freaked me out and I didn’t know what to do.  I felt sort of panicky.  OK, a lot panicky.  More panicky than I would have thought I’d be in that sort of situation.  I didn’t want to draw too much attention to it, though, because I really didn’t want Andrew to see it.

I figured out pretty quickly that the windows in the building were being washed today, so likely what happened is that someone in one of the suites above us took their screens out as per the notice to do so, and then opened the windows this morning without thinking about it.  Then their cat fell out when normally they’d be blocked by the screen.  This is totally freaking me out!

I tried calling James but he wasn’t responding so I figured he was probably in a meeting.  I just didn’t know what to do.  I called my mom and she recommended calling the SPCA for advice.  I had thought maybe I should call our building manager, but the problem is, it’s potentially her cat…(Update: just after I wrote that, I heard some commotion outside and went out – the window washers had discovered it, and had the building manager with them.  Thank goodness I found out it’s NOT her cat…and she was glad I’d called the SPCA).  Hopefully it will be dealt with soon, I just feel absolutely sick about it, and the mental image of it is really disturbing me.  I can’t focus on anything, I just keep pacing around and I feel weird inside. 

I’ve seen dead cats before, on the road or in a ditch, and it always gives me a sick feeling.  But this is so much worse, because it’s hanging in the tree right outside our window.  I have the blinds closed, but still, just knowing it’s there…And knowing that someone is going to be mourning their cat when they realize what happened, if they haven’t already.  I feel so emotional about it.  I know there’s nothing I can do but I hate this helpless feeling, and the fact that it’s there…Ugh…this is not good.

So much for spending time in the yard today, I don’t even want to go near it.  As soon as the SPCA person has come and gone (I have to be here to show them where it is) we are OUT OF HERE.  No idea where we’ll go but I know I can’t stay here =(

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird