Monday, June 04, 2012

A whatever sort of day...


Today I did a big grocery shop at Superstore and I can’t believe I’m saying this but…I totally prefer shopping at Walmart to Superstore!  I couldn’t stand the layout of the store.  It drove me kind of nuts.  And while some of the stuff they have is so awesomely priced you can’t not buy it, there are a few things I just can’t find there.  I’m not a huge fan of Walmart as a chain, and would prefer not to shop there either, but it’s really the only way to save money, and at this point in time that’s important to us.  I still shop at Safeway too, and it’s definitely my preferred store over all others, but the prices definitely aren’t right.

I also filled the van with gas…or at least got us ¾ of the way full.  It’s definitely costing us a lot more per month now that I’m driving…But I have to be perfectly honest – I’m LOVING it.  I had to take transit on Saturday and it felt like a living hell being on the skytrain.  And then there were a bunch of crazy people on the Davie Street bus on our way home and I was sitting there thinking, WHY DIDN’T I DRIVE??!  James transits every day still for work, and wants to ‘encourage’ me to still have high regard for transit because he looks at the environmental point of view of driving around in one’s own car (or, in our case, van) vs taking public transport.  I get it, I do.  For years I dealt with transit and very rarely did I ever complain about it.  But at this point in time, owning our own vehicle is up at the top of my ‘List of Favourite Things.’  I feel like our van is a part of the family now!  It’s about time we gave her a name…

I’ve gotten a lot more comfortable driving and don’t think too much of it like I used to.  I thought I would never in a million years drive in Vancouver, but I’ve driven all along Broadway in busy-ish traffic, in various areas of Burnaby, Coquitlam, Port Moody, etc.  It’s really not that bad once you get used to it!  Definitely not as laid back as in smaller cities like Nanaimo, and I do miss how ‘relaxing’ driving could be over on the island, but you get used to the busy-ness of the big city pretty quick.  I just love the SOLITUDE that comes with driving as opposed to bussing.  I have only been driving for a month or so and yet I really noticed on the bus all the coughing and sneezing and people swearing and doing things that got on my nerves!  I felt somewhat…intolerant, more than I used to be.  Which I suppose isn’t that good of a thing to become, but it is what it is.  I love driving Andrew around and going places on our own time and places we would normally avoid due to long commutes.  I love piling stuff we want to take into the back of the van and not even caring if none of it gets used, because I didn’t actually have to carry it to our destination.  Simple things that people accustomed to having a vehicle probably don’t think much about!  But I’m definitely not taking having our van for granted, I love it and am soooo thankful we were able to make it happen!

Anyway…today was an OK day but nothing spectacular.  I don’t NEED the day to be spectacular, but I could handle it being something a little more tomorrow.  I felt kind of blah tonight.  Actually, I had a bit of a cry – a rarity for me.  I couldn’t even say what it was that was bothering me so much, but something was…and still sort of is.  I just feel blah, what can I say.  Just one of those days maybe.  But I’m going to do what I can to make tomorrow more interesting.

For now I’m going to go watch a little Drop Dead Diva before bed.  I just discovered it on Netflix and I’m hooked!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird