Monday, June 04, 2012

Sunday at the lake

 
Andrew slept over at his nana’s last night.  I think we’re going to attempt to capitalize on Andrew going for sleepovers (likely mostly at my parents’ since it’s so convenient how close they live!) until the twins arrive.  Basically, once they’re here it’s going to be very difficult (read: IMPOSSIBLE) to have any single night just James and me…Let’s face it…So it’s now or never!  Or at the very least, now or yeeears from now.

This morning I had a bit of a sleep in while James did some work.  He’s having to work massive amounts of overtime, this past month and for all of June.  It kind of sucks to me, because we haven’t really had much time together at all lately it has felt like.  But I know it has to be done, and I guess it’s better it’s happening now rather than a few months down the line when I’m really going to need his help more than ever!

Once he was done with work we drove up Ioco in Port Moody to Buntzen Lake.  We’ve always wanted to go there, but without a car it would have been a crazy commute to get there.  So finally today was the day!  It wasn't  the greatest weather for being outside at a lake, but we went for it anyway.  It was a nice drive, and we’re glad we scoped it out so we can go back with Andrew in the summer.  He’ll love it!  Not sure how adventurous he’ll be with actually going into the lake, but there’s great sand for building sandcastles and playing, and lots of trails to explore.  (As a side note, you won’t see me swimming in a lake either…I don’t swim where there are water snakes!  Eeek, just thinking about it freaks me out!)





 

The lake was sooooo calm and peaceful, I wish we could have been out in a canoe or a boat.  James said maybe in the summer we could somehow make that happen.  I reminded him of how huge I will be by this summer!  There’s no way I’ll be getting into a canoe.  BUT it is definitely something I want to do in the future. 

I absolutely LOVED the silence at the lake.  There were a lot of people there so there was talking-noise, but we walked along a trail for a while and I stopped at one moment and just took in the absolute stillness.  It was breathtaking.  There’s something so magical to me about that kind of quiet.

We actually walked a fair ways along a trail, and we picked a good one because eventually it took us back to the parking area.  I would have loved to explore further, but I didn’t want to overdo it, and it really wasn’t the greatest weather for such an adventure anyway.  I know it’s not going to be long before I’m too big to be doing those sorts of hiking type adventures, so I’m hoping we can get back there soon so I can enjoy more – but I think I’d be fine even if all I could do was sit at a picnic bench and look out at the mountains and the water!  It’s so beautiful there.  I foresee an annual summer picnic happening there, starting this summer.






 After our mini hike we were both starving, so we ended up finding a sort of hole-in-the-wall in descript restaurant on St John’s Street that turned out to be really good.  I watch Restaurant Makeover and other similar shows sometimes, and truthfully I could totally see this place on a show like that because a) the décor left something to be desired and b) they had ten thousand things on the menu but in such a way that you really had no idea what the ‘theme’ of the restaurant was.  However, the food we got was really good, exactly what we were hoping for, generous portions, and really cheap compared to chain restaurants.  We’re planning on going back, and extra bonus – it’s a place we’d feel comfortable taking Andrew to with us!

When we got home I even had time for a nap before the boy came home.  He had gone to the International Children’s Festival on Granville Island and had his face painted to be like Spiderman – with green and yellow additions as per his request!  It was faded by the time we saw it, but I snapped a few pictures before he asked me to wash it off because it was getting too itchy.  He’s such a sweetie pie!  I loved having some quiet time with James for sure, but I was happy to get little boy kisses and cuddles by supper time!


No comments:



blogger template by lovebird