Sunday, June 17, 2012

Royal City, really?


Andrew slept over at my parents’ last night, so today James and I wanted to make the most of the day, just the two of us.  It was raining buckets, YET AGAIN, but we decided despite it to go out and explore an area we aren’t super familiar with.  I suggested we drive to New Westminster and check out the Quay and surrounding areas.  I was a little nervous about driving there, since I knew we’d be passing by Royal Columbian Hospital.  Actually, once we’d made the decision to go to NW, I felt a heaviness in my chest and honestly was struggling to breathe for a minute – all because I knew we’d be driving by that hospital.  It’s ridiculous, but I can’t seem to get over my issues with it.  I just hate it, and want nothing to do with it.  I turned and looked the other way when we drove past it, and after one deep breath I was able to forget about it, so at least it didn’t affect the rest of the trip, and we took an alternate route home.  Phew!

Anyway….the verdict?

New West officially gets TWO THUMBS DOWN from this person.  And to think it was once the capital of BC??!  WHAT??!!!  I’m so glad it isn’t anymore, what an embarrassment.  This is just my opinion, although I know for a fact I’m not the only one who sees it this way.

The Quay may as well just be closed down completely.  Total yawn factor, there’s really nothing there.  Then we walked up and down Columbia Street, and I remembered why I never go to New West.  There was nothing interesting there at all.  I haven’t really gone there for about a decade, and I swear it’s the same as it was then.  Unless you’re looking for a wedding gown (which seems like such a weird area to go wedding dress shopping, but maybe that’s just me), there’s not a whole lot going on.  Most of the restaurants we saw (none of which really excited us anyway) seemed to be closed – and it was a Saturday at lunch time!

There is a new, or at the very least very updated, area (Columbia Square I think it’s called?) that has a lot of stores, basically a strip mall.  It worked out for us since we were able to pop into Bosley’s to get Fiona some cat food.  But beyond that, it just felt like a yawn factor all around.  There wasn’t anything different or interesting about any of the areas we explored.  We did stop along 6th and had lunch at a Greek restaurant, which was good, but overall there’s nothing about New West that is drawing me back.  I like Hume Park and Queen’s Park and I will go back to those places, but that’s where it ends. 

The weather certainly didn’t help, it was such a miserable, grey and rainy day.  But I honestly don’t think bright sunshine would have done anything to enhance New West for me.  It just seemed like a really boring place.  Let me know if I’m missing something spectacular, I’d love to know what it is!

Despite the location not doing anything for us, at least we enjoyed each other’s company, so it wasn’t a total bust!  I’m glad we went because at least we’ve done it and now we won’t feel the need to go again!  Maybe next weekend we’ll pick another area to explore.  Any suggestions?

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird