Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Monday swim!

On Sunday MONDAY (it was a long weekend and I got my days screwed up!) it was once again raining (no surprise there) so we decided to do a fun indoor activity.  We took Andrew to a nearby pool that we’ve been meaning to check out for a while. 

Andrew loves to go to the pool, or at least I should say he loves it once he gets there.  I started introducing him to pools when he was about 5 ½ months, and around 6 or 7 months we started taking ‘swim lessons’ where we splashed around in a group and sang nursery rhymes, getting our babies comfortable in the water.  Andrew LOVED it.  I would have continued the lessons, but then we moved away from the downtown pool that was within walking distance, one thing led to another, and it just didn’t happen.

But Andrew never stopped going to pools, because there’s a pool in his nana’s apartment building.  So she primarily is the one who takes him swimming.  I hadn’t been in a pool with him for quite a long time until today. 


He tends to really resist going swimming, in fact he sort of freaks out about it.  I think he doesn’t like the idea of a really cold pool, he just wants to enjoy a warmer one, and who can blame him.  The pool we went to today was AWESOME for kids, totally family-oriented.  You walk in very gradually, sort of like walking into the ocean.  He took to it right away.

I was imagining myself taking him on a more regular basis.  I even went out and bought a maternity bathing suit, a size bigger than what I need right now so I can fill it out as the pregnancy goes on.  I do plan on going swimming with him as much as possible in the next several months, since once the twins arrive it will be VERY challenging to be able to go swimming with him.  But I have to be honest, it was pretty exhausting and I’m not sure if I’d feel comfortable ALREADY going just the two of us.  It really helps me to have someone else there so I’m not quite as tuckered out as if I’m the only one looking after Andrew.  It’s sad but true, I am somewhat limited in what I can do already.

But we had a really great time and Andrew expressed an interest in going back soon.  In fact, I don’t think we were a block down the road when he said, ‘Why are we going home now?  I want to go back to the pool!’  I’d say it was a successful outing!

I wish we’d had more sunshine this weekend, but we accomplished everything on my ‘to do’ list, so I can’t complain.

1 comment:

tristadawn said...

we just started swimming lessons about 4 weeks ago and it's AWESOME! I hve noticed such an improvement with C's comfortable level in the water so that's awesome. plus, its cheaper than paying for a swimming pass every time, and it forces us to go weekly :)
glad you guys love it too! it tuckers the little ones out too!



blogger template by lovebird