Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Making the most of the day


Today was the usual grey, dismal that seems to be the norm around here.  Not talking moods here, seriously, the weather just stinks.  It was raining lightly in the morning and I was wracking my brain for indoor activities we could do that would branch out from our usual.  Places we could go, things we could see, SOMETHING.  It’s hard coming up with ideas that don’t cost money.  Hours passed and eventually I noticed the rain had stopped, so we went out and fed the ducks and went to the park for a good long while.  It was a bit chilly, but not as bad as I’d thought it would be.  At least it wasn’t raining.   

Andrew had a great time visiting the ducks.  A seagull joined in and I taught Andrew a little about dominance.  That seagull just completely took over, and even when Andrew threw a little piece of bread (yes, I know bread’s not the healthiest thing for ducks, but we bought the duck food from the pet store that the ducks at Lost Lagoon downtown LOVE for these ducks and they turned up their beaks, I’m not kidding!) at a duck not even in the same area as the seagull, the gull would flap it’s wings and throw itself at that piece of bread.  All the ducks would swim away quickly in fear of it.  Then a crow suddenly swooped down from the trees and was taunting the seagull, and Andrew thought it was hi-lar-i-ous!

Playing at the park was also fun.  I chased Andrew around for a while (as much as I can ‘chase’ – more like walking quickly!) and we played his favourite ‘bank robber game’ where going down the slide means he robbed a bank and I have to try to catch him and put him in jail, which he always escapes out of.  Usually James plays this game with him, and he has a different way of going about it than me.  But Andrew has adjusted to our different ways of playing and seemed quite satisfied with my lazier version of the game, where I had some time to sit on a bench and rest while he ran about!  He also spent a good while on the swings.  It was nice to get out for some fresh air, even if it would have been nice to actually see the sunshine.

There were several other parents, grandparents, and kids at the park, and all the kids were in Andrew’s age group, a few a bit younger.  But no one spoke English.  Not even the little kids, which I have to admit, I found a bit strange.  This is often the case when we go to the park, and I’m pretty sure I’ve griped about it a bit before.  I don’t have a problem with people speaking in the native languages, but it would be so nice to be able to communicate with people when we’re sharing the same park together.  Andrew was jabbering away telling people about The Hulk on his shirt, and the game we were playing, and how we’d been to feed the ducks, and there were nods and smiles, but no one had a clue what he was talking about.  He didn’t seem to notice or care, but I just sometimes wish it was possible to meet other people that we might run into more regularly at the park.  I find there’s a huge – and obvious – barrier when we’re the only ones there speaking English.  I’d be a lot more understanding of it if we didn’t live in an English speaking part of the world, but we do!  Or at least we’re supposed to.  But oh well, that’s my little rant and I’ll leave it at that.  We had a lot of fun at the park just doing our own thing!

I was soooooo tired today though.  Crazy, ridiculous, almost zombie-state tired.  I don’t know why – our upstairs neighbour was gone for 3 nights (sadly he got home a few hours ago, so I’ll expect several extra wake-ups in the middle of the night to night from noise…sigh) so I was sleeping pretty well compared to my usual.  But from the moment I woke up this morning I just had no real get-up-and-go energy to speak of.  Soooooo tiiiiiired.  I get to sleep in tomorrow though, which I am so looking forward to!

Andrew has just been extra delightful lately.  I don’t know exactly what it is.  He just awes me with his sweet, adorable and amazingly smart nature every single day.  He is so freaking CUTE, and cuter by the minute, which is just crazy because you’d think he couldn’t get any cuter.  He is so FUNNY and so full of spunk and he says the most hilarious things.  He has a very vivid imagination which he is exploring to the max, always coming up with story after story and jabbering on about it for as long as anyone will listen.  He is so expressive, and so genuine, and so HIM.  And I love every single thing about him!  Sure he has his moments, don’t we all!  But he’s been such a good boy lately, not that he isn’t generally anyway, but in particular lately I’ve just noticed how much fun we’ve been having, how ‘easy’ he can be to be around because he’s so good-natured and happy the majority of the time.  I find him so interesting, fascinating in fact, and I just marvel at this person we created who is totally his own self, and such an amazing one at that!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird