Monday, April 30, 2012

The family van


Well, it looks like we are about to be the proud new owners of a new (to us!  It's a 2002) Dodge Caravan!  We have to embrace the ‘family van’ because it’s really our only option.  I’m actually really excited about it.  James and my first vehicle together, it feels like a big thing for us.  It has been great being able to rely on transit or just walking everywhere for the past 14 years since we moved over this way, but it’s time for a new chapter. 

We definitely plan to still utilize transit – obviously James will be transiting to work every day, (as part of becoming an employee recently as opposed to contracting, he got a sweet deal of a half-price bus pass for the year) and at least until the babies come I will still use transit if I have to go downtown.  But it’s going to be SO NICE to be able to drive Andrew over to my mom’s, or drive to get groceries (this is a big one for me – you have no idea how excited I am about going grocery shopping with a vehicle to bring it all home, not a granny cart or having to ask my parents to drive me!!)

We’re also going to plan some fun outings for the next several weekends after our weekend away coming up.  I want to take Andrew to the zoo, for example, and other places like that, places we really couldn’t get to by transit even if we wanted to.  Places I want to take Andrew to before the twins arrive, because it will be that much more chaotic to do things then.  And I feel like I have to do this stuff within the next couple of months, tops, because once I’m 20 weeks + I am going to be HUGE and might not be up to doing as much.  I’m already concerned about how it will be for me at the zoo, truthfully, because I get tuckered out so easily as it is, and when we took Andrew there 2 years ago I remember how much walking we did, and how tired we were at the end of the day.  I really have to be careful not to overdo it, and it’s ridiculous how easily I feel like I’m doing too much ALREADY in this pregnancy.  I’m not used to feeling so weak, it’s crazy!  Today we walked for about half an hour, then did a grocery shop at Safeway, then bussed home, and I was seriously SO TIRED and sore from the outing!  But I’m just so freakishly tired, and my belly’s growing, and there are aches and pains associated.  Once the belly is getting quite huge, which it will far earlier than with a singleton, I have to take into account how much more debilitating it will be.

So we thought it made sense to get our van now, get me used to driving it before my belly’s hitting into the steering wheel (lol!) and do some of the fun things we want to do before it’s too late for this year.  It’s going to be so nice to have that freedom to go places, I really can’t wait!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird