Thursday, March 29, 2012

A quiet, getting things done sort of day

Fingers crossed in the hopes I don’t jinx myself, but today is the first day I haven’t thrown up in I can’t remember how long!  Andrew went to his nana’s again, so I had the opportunity to sleep in.  Instead of my usual way of thinking, which would be to get up before I actually want to because I ‘should’, I slept till I really felt like getting up.  I got up at 11.

I still feel nauseous, but not so severely as the past few days in particular.  My average per day throwing up was getting up to between 6-10 times per day.  So to be at almost 4pm without running to the bathroom once is awesome!

In other news, our sleep training Andrew is actually starting to get somewhere.  I shouldn’t get ahead of myself.  We’ve had 2 breakthrough nights.  That’s hardly anything to brag about, I know.  We still have a long ways to go, and there’s always the possibility of regression.  Or at least, his attempting to regress.  We’re going to do our absolute best to not give in (even though I would have such an easy time going back to how things were, letting him into our bed in the night!)

The first several nights were pretty tough, and we were close to giving up.  It’s especially hard for me right now to be getting up in the night, because I’m so exhausted as it is, that if I don’t get any sleep at night, I’m useless the next day.  And more sick, and more tired, and then stressed because I worry about the effects on the babies.  So James has been primarily dealing with Andrew through the night.  He’s not happy about getting less sleep, but he agrees with me that he’s probably the better one to be doing it.  Andrew knows that Momma has a soft spot for him when he wakes up and looks all babyish in the night.  I feel compelled to cuddle him and hug him and kiss him and have him fall asleep with me beside him.  Whereas James is taking a harsher stance, which is what the boy really needs.  No sleeping beside someone, he has to go back to sleep on his own.

The night before last, he went to sleep completely on his own and stayed that way for hours, which was the first major breakthrough.  Then last night, he slept in his bed (whereas he usually has a habit of getting up and sleeping on the couch by around 1-2am) straight through from about 9pm till 4am – and the only reason he woke up at 4 was because James got up due to a spring allergies sneezing fit!  Who knows how long he’d have slept on his own otherwise.  I think he is actually getting it, that this is happening, we’re serious, and he CAN sleep on his own.

Tonight will be the 3rd night so let’s hope the pattern continues.  I have to be honest, I still don’t sleep well at night (in large part due to all the noise our upstairs neighbour makes…I actually dreamt the other night that I went and asked him to be quieter…still debating whether or not it would be a good idea to make that a reality).  But at least we’re making progress for the sake of having everyone sleep in their own beds.  I loved our time of co-sleeping, but we’re at a point now where I know this new arrangement is the best thing for all of us.

Because I’m ‘only’ nauseous today and not throwing up, I’ve actually managed to be productive.  I ironed for almost 2 hours, and won’t have to do any more for at least a week and a half.  I HATE ironing with a passion, so it pleases me greatly to know I’m off the hook for the next little while!  I’ve also done several loads of laundry, and after I post this I’m vowing to myself to do some dusting.  I have to take full advantage of feeling OK at the moment, because you never know what tomorrow will be like!  I welcome the tiny bursts of energy I seem to be having, they’re way too few and far between these days.

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird