Sunday, February 26, 2012

Memoirs


I just finished reading Jann Arden’s memoir, Falling Backwards.  I loved it.  You know you’re reading a good book when you force yourself NOT to pick it up for a few days when you’re right near the end, because you don’t want it to be over yet.  I didn’t want to finish it because I wanted it to keep going!  I like Jann Arden as a musician (and comedian – I’ve seen her live!) but you don’t even have to be a huge fan of her music to enjoy her story.  It was really well written, very funny but also very serious. 

Shortly before starting on that book, I’d read Michael Buble’s book, Onstage, Offstage.  I loved it, too.  It wasn’t as in depth as Falling Backwards, because half of the book is photographs, but it was interesting to learn about his life leading up to his success.  Especially since he’s from Burnaby, and I recognized the names of all the clubs and places he’s played in Vancouver (and I’ve been to some of them!) 

What I love about Jann Arden and Michael Buble is that they don’t ‘just’ sing well, they’re also hilariously great performers!

I’ve never thought of myself as much of a memoir reader, but I think it’s something I could really get into a lot more.  Anyone have any suggestions for some good ones? 


No comments:



blogger template by lovebird