Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Power outage


It got so stormy here last night that the power went off at around 4 in the morning.

We all noticed it right away – even Andrew – because the fan suddenly shut off.  I don’t sleep well at the best of times, but I don’t sleep much at all without a fan for the white noise.  It helps drown out the sound of the guy upstairs walking around, and drowns out any other noises.  It was so quiet without the fan, and yet so noisy – we could hear the wind blowing through the trees, the rain pelting down and dripping from the drains outside, and, of course, the neighbour upstairs walking around his condo (yes, he was up at 4 in the morning, and no, that’s not at all unusual).

It took me at least an hour to fall asleep, and I kept waking up because of the lack of fan.  I woke up at 7:15 and woke James up, because that’s when he should have been leaving for work.  Luckily it’s OK if he’s late – although he has to make up the time if he wants to get paid for it.  Andrew and I slept in a bit, thank goodness -  I was worried he was going to want to get up early and I’d be dead tired from lack of sleep, but it worked out OK.  We woke up around 9 and laid in bed for a while and I tried to explain to him about electricity and how ours was out.  He threw a little tantrum when he found out the TV wasn’t working!  LOL  He said, ‘But I want to watch a shoooooow!’  I reminded him that my computer could work for a few hours on battery, but we couldn’t watch anything from the internet so it would have to be a dvd.  It’s so funny (maybe also a tad scary) how dependent even a 2 year old is on electricity!!  He wanted the Christmas tree lights on and I told him it wasn’t possible but he said, ‘I could try!’  Of course he flicked the switch and nothing happened.

Then he said, ‘But the WINDOWS aren’t broken!’  I agreed, and said they don’t need electricity! 

I found myself wanting a cup of coffee, wanting to make a hot breakfast, and I desperately needed to wash and dry my hair!

I honestly don’t know how people live without electricity.  I feel like it’s my best friend, and when it goes out it’s my greatest enemy! 

It was getting really cold and I was beginning to think we would have to light a fire in the fireplace soon.  We had sweaters on and Andrew had his Woody boot slippers on and his teeth were chattering (although partly I think he was doing that on purpose because I TOLD him it was cold!)  Then around 10:00 I realized that the lights in the hallway were back on.  Yay, we have power!

I was happy to wash my hair and dry it as per usual, make my coffee, and get some porridge made for our breakfast.  But part of me thinks it would have been fun if the power stayed off a little longer, so we could have built that fire in the fireplace, cozied up, and maybe told some stories till we had power again.  Not that we can’t do that anyway. But once we knew we could turn up the heat and put the lights on, it was just too ‘easy’ to do that!

It’s frightening just how hooked we are on power.  I don’t know how to go without.  I need my fan through the night, I like my alarm clock to display the time so I know where I’m at each time I wake up.  I like having the lights on in the bathroom while I put my contacts in in the morning, and I like the heat to be on before I get up so it’s warmed up for me!  I’m accustomed to so many things that require electricity that I feel kind of lost when I know it’s not right at my fingertips at all times.  I can’t help but take it for granted when it’s working!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird