Saturday, November 05, 2011

Photo book

I haven’t been writing as much because I’ve been trying to complete a photo book project.  I made one last year using mixbook.com and I LOVED what their product could offer.  I made a book about Andrew’s Life in 2010 and we gave a copy to all our closest relatives, who absolutely loved it.  It was quite a detailed scrapbook/journal of him being one.  I would definitely use mixbook again because I loved the range of things I could do with it.  It was pricey, but I actually think it was cheaper than some of the other ones I looked into, which was one of the reasons I went with them.  I was getting 10 books printed so it came to over $300 if I recall correctly…possibly closer to $400…I can’t remember exactly.  It’s not an entirely cheap thing to make your own book, but when you think of the money you spend on gifts for people at Christmas time, gifts they will probably not use for long or may not even like – it can get VERY expensive.  Whereas a picture book can last forever and has a lot of sentimental value!

This year I’m using Photobook Canada because I bought a groupon for $115 worth of product for $35.  It seemed like too good a deal to pass up, especially since I’d decided waaaay back after the success of last Christmas and my love of Andrew’s one year book, that I wanted to make one again.  (Although this year we’re only making one for us, our parents, and Andrew’s great grandmothers).

Unfortunately, with all the total sh*t that has happened this year, I started feeling really blah about the idea of doing a photo book.  In Andrew’s book last year, I not only included hundreds of photos of his life, but I also included a lot of stories about what he was up to (in his ‘voice’).  I was worried about doing that this year because I didn’t feel like there was a whole lot I’d want to have to explain.

Then I got pregnant again and thought, well, maybe this year wasn’t so bad after all, I’d even be able to add to the book Andrew saying, ‘Next year I’m going to be a big brother, so this might be the last book all about meeee!’ or something to that effect.  All I can say is, THANK GAWD I didn’t do the book a month ago and have it printed early with plenty of time before Christmas.  I would have had to rip that page right out of the book.  Or just toss the whole lot into the fireplace. 

With losing the baby, I got even more worried about making the book, because all I could think about was how I’d have to include pictures that would remind me of Nanaimo, and pictures that would remind me of the baby (some really good outdoor shots of Andrew we took at the park about a week or so ago, and I didn’t want to leave them out, even though I’d see the ones with me in them and be reminded of how I was actually feeling inside that day…) 

BUT I knew if I was going to make the book in time for Christmas, it had to be done.  I started on it about a week and a half ago, and I still have a ways to go on it but it should be done within the next week tops.  I want to feel really good about it before I hit the submit button and know it’s too late to go back.  But I’m pretty happy with it so far. 

I decided not to torture myself too much with writing a lot.  I’ve included a few paragraphs on a couple of pages, but otherwise I’ve decided to just let the pictures speak for themselves.  And even though this year has felt like the worst one pretty much ever in my life, at the same time the pictures of my smiling, happy, adorable, favouritest little boy in the whole wide world remind me of all the good moments we have had that I do want to cherish.

I like Photobook Canada, but I might recommend them more if you’re just wanting to do pictures but not necessarily make it look as much like a scrapbook as what I’m attempting to do with it.  There are ‘options’ for it, but certainly nowhere near as many as Mixbook.  I’m still glad I tried another one though, just to compare, and we’ll see how it ends up price-wise after the discount.  I hope it doesn’t end up costing waaay more than I had planned on, because of course after all the work I’ve done on it I’m not going to be impressed if I can’t get it printed!  I’ll update on that once I know…

I’m happy to be getting this project completed right around the same time as I finished it last year so I know it will be ready in time for Christmas.  It’s a fun project, I really love ‘online scrapbooking’ and if it weren’t for the cost of it, I think it could easily become my favourite hobby!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird