Friday, November 11, 2011

In good spirits


I’ve been so busy focusing on the bad stuff in my life lately, that suddenly I’m realizing that it’s CHRISTMAS in 6 weeks.  SIX WEEKS!  Oh my freaking gawd.

I am not ready for Christmas, I don’t feel at all ‘prepared’ for dealing with the holidays.  That’s my initial reaction.  But then I think, maybe this is a blessing in disguise.  It gives me something to focus on, and it’s another holiday to cherish with Andrew.  He will understand Christmas this year more than ever before.  It will be fun and exciting for him and I will love it all because of that!

He keeps dwelling on Halloween, wishing we could just do that all over again.  He told me yesterday, ‘Mommy, I don’t LIKE Christmas.  I don’t like snowmen.  They’re bornin (his word for boring).  I like Halloween costumes and pumpkins and skeletons and scary stuff!’  LOL

I told him, ‘Yeah, but Christmas has stuff like Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer!’  He said, ‘I don’t like Rudolph.’  I said, ‘But Rudolph has a red-nose that GLOWS!’  He said, ‘I liiiiiiike Ruuuudooooolph!’  LOL

I happened to save a Rudolph story book from when I was a kid, that was brought over during my parents’ move, so we had a look through that.  It wasn’t quite as ‘exciting’ maybe as his Spooky Riddles book (which was also mine as a kid, and I am loving how he’s enjoying it every bit as much as I did!) but it held his attention pretty well!

I think, too, once we start decorating the house, he’ll have more fun with it.  I think we’ll wait till December 1st to start that process, but it will be so fun to do with him.  James wanted to get a real tree this year since this is the first place we’ve lived in that actually allows it…but he decided he wasn’t sure about a real tree when I said HE has to sweep up the millions of pine needles that will fall every day.  (I’m not a real tree person, we always had a fake tree in my family so that’s my preferred tradition – James is the opposite!)  We’ll see what happens!  Either way is fine with me, though we do have our cool little fibre optic tree that I think is sufficient for our needs (and smallish space!)

I think I’m thinking about this stuff tonight because I finished the Photobook project tonight that I mentioned a few days ago.  I’m pretty excited about it.  40 pages of Andrew’s life in 2011.  I’m really happy with the results and I absolutely loved making the book.  James said I should attempt to make them for profit, since tons of people out there take their pictures and WANT them in scrapbooks but don’t have the time or don’t enjoy making them.  I think it’s an awesome idea, actually, I’m just not sure how to go about setting up that kind of a business…Definitely something to consider looking into though.

It ended up being a pretty good deal money-wise (although I’ll have a better idea of that once I see the finished product for quality!)  With tax and shipping included, it came to about $190 for 6 books – that was with the coupon where I spent $35 for $115 worth of product.  The $190 includes the $35 spent for the groupon.  Confused yet?!  Suffice it to say, ultimately for what I got I thought that was a good price – especially with the groupon helping out.  Waaay cheaper than last year’s book, though we also got 10 copies not 6, and I did really love the extra features Mixbook had.

Anyway, I can hardly wait for it to arrive in the mail in about 2 weeks time.  It feels good to have that done, and to know that taking care of some Christmas shopping is already underway.

We really want to get people gifts that really make sense and won’t just be a waste, and we also really need to budget as best as we can so we’re not over spending, as that seems to happen so easily at holiday time.  It’s stressful, but I want to minimize that as much as possible and just enjoy the holidays.  One thing I am really happy about is that we’re staying home over the holidays.  James talked to his dad and said we’re not going to travel over the holidays, and his dad seemed to think that made sense.  So we’re off the hook, no busy BC Ferries trips for us this season!  Not that I don’t want to see our family in Victoria, but you have no idea how relieved I am to know we can just RELAX and be AT HOME for the holidays.  For the first time EVER since moving to the mainland in 1998!!!!  It will minimize the stress of Xmas big time.

Listen to me, I’m being POSITIVE for a change!  Let’s hope it lasts =)

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird