Thursday, September 15, 2011

A good day


I really enjoyed today, even though from the outside looking in it might not seem all that spectacular. 

It was raining today, which kind of sucked in the sense that we’re soooo not used to the rain after weeks of bright sunshine that FINALLY came our way!  I think the issue is more knowing that Fall is looming, and while there are aspects of fall that are wonderful, magical even, there is a very big loss to face when summer is gone.  It feels like forever till it will come back, and as much as I like certain things about Fall and even Winter, the Spring and Summer are where I’d rather be.

But despite the rain, I felt enthusiastic about going out in it because we borrowed my parents’ car last night and kept it here, so if we were going to go out we didn’t have to take the bus.  When you take the bus as your regular mode of transport, you do get used to checking for bus times and considering the wait times between transfers etc.  You deal with it, but for me – especially after living downtown for so long and basically being able to walk just about anywhere we’d want to go anyway – it sometimes means WANTING to go somewhere but not feeling like being BOTHERED by the stupid commute.  Especially when you have to lug around a big bag of stuff (snacks, diapers, extra kid clothes just in case, as well as regular purse items) – AND your child doesn’t like a stroller anymore so toss in the extra thirty plus pounds you’ll be carrying the majority of the time wherever you go…

It’s not all bad, and you certainly get used to it.  But I felt so footloose and fancy free just tossing the bag in the trunk, plunking Anders into his car seat, and away we went!  I didn’t even know what time it was when we left the house because *gasp!* it didn’t really matter!

We didn’t do anything extravagant, but I thought a rainy morning would be well spent at the library, so we hit up the library in our old ‘hood (well, James and mine, looong before Andy arrived!).  Andrew was really good there, and we picked out close to 10 books to bring home, and a Peter Rabbit dvd.  We stayed there for a while and looked around, then went over to the mall for a few things.  I needed to get a few things from Walmart so we popped in there, and even though Andrew saw TONS of things he would have loved to have, he was awesome and just pointed at all the things he liked and said, ‘Andrew have that one day, that one day, that one day, that one day!’  I feel like I can finally take him out anywhere and he doesn’t throw a fit if he doesn’t get anything. 

Although he DID get a few things at the dollar store!  We found a whole Halloween section and he was so excited by it.  Normally I’d scoff because it seems to early to be thinking about Halloween, even if it IS the middle of September (omg, I can’t believe it’s the middle of September already…)  But my boy LOVES Halloween, I honestly think it’s going to be his favourite holiday over the next several years!  Quite possibly!!  He thought all the spiders and webs and skeletons were S-O C-O-O-L.  Because everything was just a dollar I honestly would have got a couple more items than what he picked out, but he was being such a good boy that I’d say, ‘Do you think we should get this one and he’d say, ‘Pretty cool’ – but then put it back and say, ‘Get it next time maybe.’  LOL  He’s so freaking cute.

We got a cool web with spider, a glow-in-the-dark hanging skeleton (just a small one), a ‘crazy door knocker’ as Andrew keeps calling it (which I’ll put on our front door but not till October 1st so as not to alarm the neighbours!!) and a skeleton mask.  Fun!

By this time we’d been out for quite a while and were getting hungry so we went to my mom’s and had a bite to eat, and ended up spending the rest of the day there.  I was sooo tired (even though James helped me with Andrew through the night and I probably got more sleep than I usually do).  I’d say it’s because of pregnancy that I’m THIS tired.  I ended up falling asleep around 3:30 in the afternoon while my mom played with Andrew, and I didn’t wake up till just after 5!  I very rarely ever take naps so it was pretty amazing to get that extra sleep in, and I think it did wonders for me for this evening.

When we came home Andrew went straight to bed – it was SO cute, my dad came in to see the new bed and Andrew woke up long enough to smile at Papa because he was so proud of his new bed, then he rolled over and went to sleep!)  (He loves his new bed – didn’t sleep straight through last night but the ‘progress’ I’m seeing is that he DID ask to go back to his bed, he didn’t want to sleep on the couch, so that’s a good sign!  He said he was having nightmares so I think that’s really why he was waking up).

After I got all our stuff from the today put away and said goodnight to James, I made his lunch for tomorrow (as per my usual), and also emptied the dishwasher, folded some laundry and got another load going – not totally unusual for me, but at the same time lately I often find myself struggling to complete these tasks in the morning when I’m groggy from lack of sleep.  It felt good to get it all out of the way tonight so then I can go to sleep knowing when I get up, it’s not going to be a cleaning frenzy first thing.

I know it doesn’t seem like we did much today, just an average sort of day, maybe even totally boring to some.  But I was in a good mood, and really enjoyed going out with my boy.  I told him he was a fun person to spend time with while we were driving along, and he said, ‘You too!’ or something to that effect!  He really is my favourite little guy.

2 comments:

tristadawn said...

You need an Ergo Baby Carrier!! :P
It would be handy so then you wouldn't have to carry Andy.. and then when new babe comes along you can use it for baby :) We have one and its fabulous. I did a lot of research and it is one of the better carriers out there (for various reasons). It's pricy but can go up to 45lbs! It's ergonomically designed so its very comfy to wear too!

Elizabeth said...

I will definitely consider one for baby#2. I've heard a lot of good things about them. I would totally use one with Andrew, given he still fits within the weight restrictions...But the problem is he doesn't like feeling confined. I think he'd think it was 'hilarious' to be strapped to me for the first 10 minutes and then he'd be like, OK MOMMY, LET ME GOOOOO! He likes to be carried on shoulders but I think that's because he knows when he says DOOOOWWWWNNN he can be off and running in 2 seconds flat!!

But definitely I'll be looking into this option for when baby#2 arrives!



blogger template by lovebird