Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tonight, tonight


Tonight I went to see the movie The Help.  (With my mil, of all people, if you can believe it)  I KNOW!!!  Not my idea, obviously, but it went a lot better than expected.  We are two very different people, but in the short amount of time we were alone together I actually thought it went a lot better than I’d anticipated.  Which is not to say we are now all buddy buddy, I definitely still think it’s best for me to keep my distance from her for the most part, and usually I do, which has been working well over all.

Anyway…I loved the movie, I thought it depicted the book very well.  There were a few modifications in the movie but I think they made sense because it would have taken a lot longer to explain things the same as in the book…And the movie had to be able to make sense to people who wouldn’t have read it.  Over all, I recommend it – read the book and then check out the movie!

I guess I tend to dwell on the morbid side of things, so forgive me for making this post more about what we saw BEFORE the movie as opposed to the movie itself.  We saw it at Tinseltown, so beforehand we met up at the playground across the street so Andrew could play for a while before heading back home with his Daddy.  Once James arrived, he and his mom wanted to show me this other area of the park, just up a bit of a hill, because they’d been there before and apparently Andrew quite likes the water feature/cement block thingy there.  Anyway, so we go up the hill and just as we’re about to get to where the cement blocks are that Andrew likes to walk on, I noticed a guy shooting up, literally RIGHT THERE, like 2 feet in front of me.

I was the only one of us who saw it happening, and so I was the only one having a reaction.  I am not generally one to be very vocal unless a situation really calls for it, but in this one I was just so shocked.  (More on that in a minute).  My first reaction was to quickly grab Andrew and prevent him from going closer – of course he was oblivious to what the guy was doing, but I just didn’t feel comfortable going over there anymore.  I said quite loudly, ‘No, I’m sorry, I’m not allowing him over there, there’s someone shooting up RIGHT THERE, we’re not going that way!’  Or something along those lines.  I probably said, ‘Oh my god’ a few times too, just something I tend to say when I’m in shock…I just felt a sort of pit-in-my-stomach feeling and didn’t want to be there anymore.

Now the thing is, I am fully aware that it’s not uncommon for drug addicts to be in this area.  In fact, not far from where we were, apparently there’s one of those safe drop box thingy’s for used needles.  So it’s not so much that in my mind I’m ‘surprised’ that this was happening, it’s just honestly something I have never once seen happening right in front of my face, and I’m sorry if I over reacted but I think I’d react the same way if I saw it again, truthfully.

My degree is in Criminology, I’ve learned a thing or two about drug addiction/the Vancouver East Side – I volunteered a few years back for a women’s shelter in the worst area of Hastings – I certainly am not ignorant to the city’s drug issues.  I guess it’s just that despite my ‘knowledge’ on the subject, that doesn’t mean I’m totally desensitized to it.  It gave me a really eerie feeling to see the guy injecting himself with heroine like that.  I can’t help but react that way.

The guy definitely heard me, and while it’s no laughing matter I said later that I wonder if I gave him a bad high, because it was too late by the time I was saying something but he was trying to sort of turn around a bit to hide his arm with the rubber band on it etc.  Not that I want the guy to feel bad – while the heroin was no doubt making him feel very good, I’m sure he DOES feel bad in his situation.  That sort of desperation, to be shooting up in a very public area like that, it just makes me feel that the person is quite caught up in their addiction at that point.  I obviously feel sorry for the guy…In some ways I hope that he heard my reaction and maybe would try to get some help and not continue with that lifestyle anymore…

I was thinking about it later and I wish it was a scenario where I could have asked him out of curiosity, what had brought him to make that decision in his life.  Why was he in that place at that time.  I really am interested to know, as at first glance he certainly didn’t look like he’d be an addict.  He was probably my age, or thereabouts.  The whole thing makes me feel sad to think about it, since it was obviously unfortunate from every way it can be looked at.  I think it was the right thing to remove Andrew from that environment though.  I don’t feel good about wandering about when people are shooting up right beside us.  It makes me feel really uneasy. 

Anyway…this is a heavy topic so to finish this post I will switch things up to share a really cute/funny moment that happened when we first arrived at the park.  There’s a little basketball court by the playground, and when we were going past it Andrew was watching some guys play.  When they missed the basket, he would laugh hysterically and yell out, ‘Ha, MISSED!’  LOL  I said, ‘People don’t tend to like to hear how they ‘missed’, how about saying something else like, ‘Maybe next time’?!’  Andrew’s response was to throw his hands in the air and say, ‘Ah, I never know!’  In a tone like, I never know what to say!  LOL  It was absolutely priceless.  I love the little expressions he comes up with.  His Nana took him out for breakfast one day last week, and when the bill came to the table he actually looked at it and said, ‘Forgot my wallet!’  I’m telling you, I should write a book of Andrewisms!  He’s a 2 ½ year old comedian!

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird