Thursday, August 04, 2011

Summer time, and the livin's easy


I just finished making Smelly Danielly’s Pesto Trapanese sauce that will go over spaghetti for tonight’s supper.  We’re having my parents over so I wanted to make something I haven’t before, and I’m so pleased with how the sauce turned out.  I know everyone will love it – including Andrew.  He loves to slurp up spaghetti noodles!  The sauce tastes very fresh and summery, and I was happy to be using some Basil from my little herb garden.  I also made a Lemon Meringue Pie for dessert.

I feel the urge to do some more baking but I don’t really want the oven on too much since it’s such a nice hot day.  I should really be outside, since our apartment is dark-ish, and doesn’t really reflect how beautiful it is outside right now.  I took a stroll over to the grocery store for a few ingredients I was missing for the sauce, and really soaked up the warmth of the day.  It felt so good to be out in the heat, although I know if I was out for too much longer I’d be a sweaty mess!  Still, just not having had much hot sun this summer, I want to enjoy it while it’s here.  I never totally trust the weather reports, but we’re apparently supposed to have a solid chunk of SUNSHINE over the next little while, and I’m SO happy about that. 

Andrew is with his Nana today…So I’m going to think up something fun for him and I to do tomorrow together.  I’m not sure what yet, but I want it to be something good!  Not just our usual.  I should take him someplace new, I’m just not sure where yet.  I love this free time I get about once a week, I have to be honest, it really is good for my psyche.  I went so long without really ever having much of a break whatsoever, and it can really catch up to you without even realizing it.  I don’t tend to relax throughout my ‘free’ days as much as I probably should, since I do a lot of chores and run errands that are easier to do without the boy.  But I do relax in my own way, and I do get a few hours in the day to just do whatever.

Since I finished reading The Help, I’ve been trying to decide what to read next.  I have quite a few books I could read, but I couldn’t decide on anything I was that excited about.  James got a Kobo book reader thingy for his birthday that he doesn’t use.  He likes the idea of it, but he currently has a subscription to Maclean’s and finds it difficult enough to plow through those each week, as there just isn’t the time to read a lot.  He goes to bed earlier than me – I stay up late to read.  He can’t do that because he requires a lot more sleep than I seem to.  Anyway, he hasn’t used the reader much yet and it seems a shame just sitting in a drawer.  So I decided to purchase a book and read it on there as an experiment. 

It took a long time to get it all sorted to actually get the book, since I’d never done it before and I found it REALLY frustrating the way I had to type in the username/password.  It takes a long time and just got on my nerves.  I also typed it in wrong a few times (it was James’ account so I had to guess at what the password was!)  But once I finally got it and started reading it was OK!  I have to get used to it though.  I like it in that I have very small hands and I find often books are so cumbersome and my hands can get kind of sore holding a book for a long period of time.  But there is something about a real-time BOOK that I enjoy and prefer over the reader in some ways.  I don’t really like the fact that I’m plugging myself into yet another electronic device.  So I’m not totally sold on it yet, but in some ways I think I like it!  It would definitely have major advantages while travelling (although I don’t know how often it needs charging or if it comes with an adapter separate from the one that plugs into the computer?!)  Anyway, we’ll see what I think of it!  I’m reading a book called ROOM by Emma Donoghue.  I’ve wanted to read it for a while.  It’s a bit hard to get into at first just because it’s written from the perspective of a 5 year old so it’s kind of strangely worded.  But I think I’m going to enjoy it.  Anyone have any recommendations for some fun and/or interesting summer reads??  


1 comment:

Lojo said...

I recently read The Way the Crow Flies by Canadian Anne-Marie MacDonald and fell in love with it. I've also read her novel Fall On Your Knees which I loved almost as much. Her character development is amazing, and her leads are always these quirky, intelligent, witty girls/ women with many layers. Her stories have this messy honesty that I love, and are infused with mystery and depth. Definitely worth checking out.



blogger template by lovebird