Thursday, August 11, 2011

Beddy byes and book reviews


Last night Andrew and I went over to my parents’ place for dinner so that James could have a few hours to himself, since he so rarely gets that.  As my dad was driving us home later on, Andrew mentioned how dark it was outside.  I told him that’s because it’s night time, and little boys and girls go to sleep at night time, because that’s what night time is for.  I mentioned about his bed, and how he should go night night and sleep in there straight through till morning, rather than making his way into our bed in the middle of the night.  I asked him, ‘Do you think you could do that, sleep in your bed all night long?’  And he thought for a moment, then replied, ‘Not right now.  Be big boy SOON, Mommy, not NOW!’

Part of me (especially in the middle of the night when I’m having my hair pulled and/or feel squished to the edge of the bed to accommodate his need for spreading out while he sleeps) wishes he would take to sleeping solo through the night.  Especially if we’re going to have a baby next year – it would be best for us AND for him if he was already adjusted to being in his own bed through the night.  But there’s still that part of me that enjoys every second (OK, maybe not the hair pulling, although usually he’s just stroking my hair for comfort and that’s not so bad) of having him near us. 

Just like every other stage – although this one has been longer going than most – he outgrows each and every one of them.  My baby is growing up, and obviously he will, as he put it last night, be a big boy soon.  He’s already very driven to be independent.  One day I KNOW that I will lay in bed thinking back on this time where my boy was a babe who wanted nothing more than to be close to his Mommy and Daddy.  These are the times to cherish, because in the grand scheme of things these times don’t last longer than the blink of an eye.

I finished reading ROOM last night.  It was SUCH a good book, I read it in a matter of days because I found I couldn’t put it down.  In moments where Andrew was very busily doing something that he didn’t feel I had to participate in, I would steal a few moments to read.  And I must have enjoyed using the Kobo reader, because I purchased a new book last night…

Anyway, the book was written from the perspective of a 5 year old boy, so it was somewhat difficult to get into at first.  But once you get into that, it’s a really great read.  I loved it actually. 

I don’t want to give anything away, but it’s about a mother and her son who are trapped in what they call ROOM, and the boy has been there his entire life.  He knows nothing of the outside world.  I won’t say any more, you should read it, but what I will say is that it really made me think about what I would do in that situation.  I think I would have gotten into this book regardless of whether I was a mother myself, but having a young son of my own, it really resonated with me.  I think I would be similar to the ‘Ma’ character in the book in my approach to teaching Andrew.  I also found it interesting getting some insight into the way the mind of a 5 year old boy might work.  It must have been a difficult book to write, but it was definitely well executed.

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird