Monday, September 20, 2010

There's a party in my tummy, so yummy, so yummy!

I can't help but quote Yo Gabba Gabba (in my title)! I swear, ever since the concert I constantly seem to have one or another YGG song on repeat in my head. It's both fun and annoying!

Anyway...Referred to it by a friend with 4 kids, I checked out the website Weelicious for yummy and healthy meal ideas for kids (that everyone else will love, too!) I’ve gone through just a few pages of the recipes on there and have copied the ones I want to try, and there are so many more on there that I want to check out. Lots of vegetarian stuff, which pleases me!

So tonight I decided to try the Spinach Ricotta Bites and they turned out SUPERB. I enjoyed them, James enjoyed them, and even Andrew said, ‘Mmmm!’ when he took a bite!

You can find the recipe with more info on the website, but here’s the lo down:

Spinach Ricotta Bites (Makes 20 Bites) (for me it made 24!)

2 Tbsp Butter
1 Small Yellow Onion, chopped
1 Garlic Clove, minced
2 Large Eggs, Beaten
1 Cup Ricotta Cheese (low or full fat ricotta will work)
1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
1 10 Oz Pkg Frozen Chopped Spinach, defrosted and drained WELL (I use my hands to squeeze as much liquid out of the spinach as possible)
1/4 Tsp Salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat and cook the onions for 4 minutes until tender.
3. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute then set aside to cool.
4. Whisk eggs in a bowl and stir in ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
5. Once combined, stir in spinach, salt and cooled onion and garlic mixture.
6. Pour the mixture into lightly greased mini muffin cups.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the filling is set and golden on top.
8. Serve.

I don’t normally buy all those different cheeses but I found them all on sale and there’s even enough Ricotta left that it will add a little something extra to another meal in the next couple of days. It’s a really easy recipe, and I guess essentially it’s like eating little bite sized quiches, but they’re so delish. There’s the richness of the cheeses but then you also feel like it’s so healthy getting all that spinach. Definitely will be making them again. I steamed some broccoli and cauliflower and mixed them with some peas with a little butter as a side dish. Carrots would have been best but I didn’t realize we didn’t have any. But these ‘bites’ would go with just about anything, and would be great as a party hors d'œuvre.

Just thought I’d share the inspiration I got from the website and new recipes! Especially with coming into a new season, it will be nice to have a few different meal options to consider.

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird