Saturday, August 28, 2010

A douchebag comment

When I was walking home from my rowing class this afternoon, a guy on a bike passed by me. On his way by, he looked at my chest and said, ‘Ooh, nice melons!’

Seriously??

I was taken aback. I had no time to react, and honestly I don’t think he’s worth giving the time of day to, anyway. So I just kept walking, outwardly reacting as if I hadn’t heard his comment. But I was a little shocked.

I was wearing an Adidas t-shirt. It’s fairly form-fitting, but still. It’s not like I was wearing something to intentionally grab lewd comments from sick-o cyclists. Not that wearing specific clothing should mean it’s OK to talk that way to someone, but I might be more understanding of it if my boobs were literally popping right out onto the sidewalk!

Should I be flattered that someone (other than my husband) found my rack attractive? Back in the day (when I was in my late teens/early twenties) I got whistled and honked at fairly regularly, and I suppose that while I did always deep down feel slightly disgusted by it because, really, come on guys, can’t you do better than that…?...there was a part of me that was flattered because obviously it’s nice to think people find you attractive, right? So I don’t know if it’s my ripe old age of 30 or what, but I was really, REALLY disgusted by the pervyness of this dude’s comment.

First of all, he looked kind of like Jack Black. And no offence to the guy, I think he’s hilarious, but if you imagine him with his Jack Nicholson-esque demeanour saying, ‘Ooh, nice melons’ while staring at your chest, it is quite likely that you, too, would find yourself with a case of the heebie jeebies.

It just made me wonder about some people. I mean, seriously. Who do you think you are, that you just blurt out things like that to a total stranger? I wouldn’t even think to say something like that out loud. I can’t really see myself even thinking it in the first place, but you generally don’t randomly tell strangers what you think of their body parts, whatever the case may be.

I don’t understand why some people feel entitled to share whatever’s on their mind, regardless of what it is. And I really don’t understand the purpose of saying ‘nice melons.’ WHO SAYS THAT??!! Is that really what we’re calling them these days?!

Maybe I am also struggling a bit with my boobs being sexual in the eyes of men. After 18 months of breast feeding my baby, I see them as a source of nourishment for my young. That was actually one of my first thoughts after the guy went by. Imagine if I blurted back to him, ‘Oh, you mean these things filled with milk for my baby?’ Not so sexual now, are they?! Not that Andrew is still feeding from them because he’s not, but that’s not the point!

Maybe I over reacted or over analyzed this. It really isn’t THAT big a deal. I’ve certainly heard worse! I guess I just wonder why people don’t think more before they speak.

I’m going to have name this guy Douchebag of the Week!!

3 comments:

Lojo said...

Yep, definitely Douche Bag of the Week!

I, too, am finding myself getting more and more turned off by that kind of behavior as I get older. When I was young, yeah, it seemed a lot more flattering than it does now. Now my immediate response is, are you serious? That's the best you can do? You're a loser, now f#@% off.

I think one of the reasons why it turns me off so much is because I perceive men like that to be horrible, disrespectful partners, and therefore, I find it repulsive.

trista said...

ugh, that is repulsive indeed.

I hate when people have to yell things out their car windows, and it's even worse when it's not 16 year olds who just got their license and are taking pride in the whole, I can yell and drive away anonymity thing.

Chandra said...

Ok not that it is funny, but I got told that last week by a disabled client. But in the same day got called a bunch of profanity and now his new favourite thing to call me is Bitch-o!

Yes, I do not get paid enough for my job! :)

I know what you mean about it being a good but bad/weird comment. While it's nice that someone besides your husband thinks you got the goods, it's weird and out of place for someone to just randomly tell you that.

Tell James he's got competition he better step up his game!!! :P



blogger template by lovebird