Pages

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Row, row, row your boat...

I guess it’s sort of true that since becoming a mother, I really haven’t ever done much, if anything, for myself. I’m not talking about occasionally going out and buying some new clothes, or getting together with someone for a meal or drinks (although that, too, happens only once in a blue moon these days).

It’s been a really long time since I took a class or did something that was just for me out of personal interest. Time and money have been issues for a long time. Both are still issues, although there’s no reason why I can’t get a few hours to myself, especially on the weekend. Money will probably always be an issue, or at least until we are making a dual income again.

But when I saw people taking a rowing class during one of our walks along the sea wall and mentioned to James that trying rowing is on my ‘Bucket List,’ he said I should look into it. Hearing the price scared me off a bit, but we talked about it and I’ve decided to sign up for a weekend class this summer.

Realistically, if we decide to have another baby we’re planning to get pregnant a year from now. Which means I wouldn’t be able to take the class next year, and then of course with a small child and a new baby, well, it would likely be at least a few more years after that before I’d be able to do something like that. So it’s now, or waaaay later, or possibly never, and I’ve chosen now.

It’s out of my comfort zone for sure, as I’m not the least bit athletic or into sports at all usually. I haven’t been part of a team like that for a very long time. But it’s a challenge and something that I’m sure will be a lot of fun. I’ll feel better for having done it, because it’s something I’m doing for me. It’s something I can talk about with people that is sort of mine, rather than only having Andrew’s toddler activities to talk about!

I’m excited about it. It’ll be nice to have that time to do something I’ve always watched and thought I’d like to try. And it gives Daddy and Boy a chance to have a little Saturday/Sunday quality time together – it’s a win/win situation, really =D

It’s also nice to have something to look forward to this summer. Beyond that, we really don’t have any plans. James is going to visit his mother (I don’t really want to talk about it at the moment) for a week coming up, but I’m hoping he’ll be able to swing a couple of days off throughout the summer so we can have some fun family time without it being on a weekend that flies by all too quickly, which always seems to be the case.

We’re CONSIDERING the idea of going away for our anniversary at the end of July, but that can only happen if I have weaned Andrew by then, so he can spend a weekend with his Gramma and Grampa. At the rate we’re going, it’s not likely to happen, but I reeeeally do want to strive for it. It’s time, I know it is, it’s just really hard…But more on this later.

1 comment:

Lojo said...

Yay! Sounds exciting :)

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com