Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Foe-bee-ahh

I am terrified of spiders.

Little spiders, big spiders, doesn’t matter. Obviously I’d choose a small one over a large one if I had to choose, but PLEASE DON’T MAKE ME CHOOSE because in all honestly, just thinking about it makes me feel uneasy.

I have had this fear of spiders ever since I can remember. I would say my first real ‘spider experience’ was back when I was seven years old. It was a hot day and I remember the whole family (me, my brother, parents, and 2 springer spaniels (the two we had before the two my parents have now!)) were all out spending time together in the backyard. We had a huge backyard when I was a kid! I was about to go run on the grass when I saw something out of the corner of my eye. On my arm.
Picture taken from internet
It was a small black spider with red on its back, which I later discovered is a member of the black widow family. Wouldn’t you know that my first real encounter with a spider and it’s a poisonous one!

Thank gawd it didn’t bite me, but it terrified me nonetheless. As soon as I saw it I flicked it off my arm and started crying and I don’t remember this part but I’d imagine I went inside and lost my interest in playing outside for the day!

I have had numerous ‘scary’ spider encounters over the years, mostly creepy crawly wolf spiders – For example, I went to pick up a paint stir stick once at my grandparents’ house and felt the hairiness of the back of one, which darted away as I grabbed what it was hiding under. It gave me the heebie jeebies.

I AM TERRIFIED OF SPIDERS!

I hate how they’re just suddenly there. If they want to be outside away from me, fine, I know they serve a purpose so I can let them be. Although my dream world does not include things like spiders. In my perfect utopia, we would not need spiders or pretty much any other bug or insect and we would thrive. I might keep lady bugs. Possibly even wood bugs. But certainly not spiders.

There is just something so scary about them. We used to get a lot of them in our apartment in Burnaby because we were right near a little forest area and while we lived on the top floor of the building, it was only 3 storeys high. Once we were sitting out on the balcony when suddenly I looked down and saw a HUGE spider (and even James admitted it was giant!) on my knee and I could actually feel its legs through my pants…ooooh my gaaaaawd just talking about this is making me feel as if I might need some therapy.

We rarely saw a spider in our last apartment (there was too much else going on there, even the spiders stayed away – Ha!) and I had literally never once seen a spider in our current place (we’ve been here for just over 2 years)…Until last week.

Andrew was in his high chair (which is right beside the wall where we have some pictures hung from our photo shoot when he was 5 months old). We were having our supper when out of the corner of my eye, I spotted it.
If you happen to be like James was when he came home and I was telling him he had to deal with a spider for me pronto (‘WHAT spider, I can’t see a spider!’) it’s on the bottom right corner of the picture frame.

Yes, it’s a relatively small spider comparably speaking when you think of other varieties that are out there.

But it’s a spider nonetheless. And when you zoom in, it’s not such a pretty picture, is it?!
There has got to be some REASON for why spiders look so absolutely terrifying and mean and nasty, right? I mean, ladybugs look cute so they don’t seem scary but spiders have that angry glare that makes you feel like YOU are the thimble-sized one, and THEY are the giants!

I really, really, really need to try to remain calm when I see a spider, for Andrew’s sake. I did a good job this first time it happened. I was good at pretending, I mean, because inside you better believe I was trembling!! But I tried not to lose it, and I pointed it out to him and said, look at the spider Andrew, can you see a spider? And then he pointed at it too and seemed pleased to be discovering something new. Then, to ease my heebie jeebies just a bit, I sang him ‘The itsy bitsy spider.’

Then James came home from work and killed it for me.

I am a horrible person, I know!

And a total hypocrite because I don’t believe in the killing of animals for food but yet I am OK with someone senselessly killing a spider just to ease my fear a little.

It’s just that the spider kind of charged into my home and I hadn’t OK’d him setting up camp, so…

Justify it whatever way I can, right?!

2 comments:

Lojo said...

Hahaha, this post made me laugh, mostly because I can relate.

I gotta say though, this year I am on a killing spree. The screen door to my patio is not sealed so well and I've already had at least five spiders in the apartment, so I have been murdering pretty much every insect I see on my balcony.

I have gotten better with killing them inside my apartment after being alone a lot-- didn't really have a choice, and boy I've had to kill some big ones. But that's when I get the broom. Thank god for the broom. But I do prefer having boyfriend do the killing for me.

The other day I woke up from sleep and thought I saw the shadow of giant spider legs creeping beneath my black-out curtain. I screamed for boyfriend. Screamed like a a schizophrenic homeless lady. He didn't come though. Then I realized that he had gone out. Then I realized that I had been dreaming and that there was no giant spider.

Yep... spiders. One of the only downfalls of summer.

By the way, wicked close up of that spider!

Lojo said...

Hahaha, this post made me laugh, mostly because I can relate.

I gotta say though, this year I am on a killing spree. The screen door to my patio is not sealed well and I've already had at least five spiders in the apartment, so I have been murdering pretty much every insect I see on my balcony.

I have gotten better with killing them inside my apartment after being alone a lot-- didn't really have a choice, and boy I've had to kill some big ones. But that's when I get the broom. Thank god for the broom. But I do prefer having boyfriend do the killing for me.

The other day I woke up from sleep and thought I saw the shadow of giant spider legs creeping beneath my black-out curtain. I screamed for boyfriend. Screamed like a schizophrenic homeless lady. He didn't come though. Then I realized that he had gone out. Then I realized that I had been dreaming and that there was no giant spider.

Yep... spiders. One of the only downfalls of summer.

By the way, wicked close up!



blogger template by lovebird